Electric Guitalele - Epiphone Pee Wee and Pee Vee!

kissing

Reaction score
I was visiting a music store today, and I got to play with this little baby!
P150111_1205.jpg

It's an Epiphone Pee Wee, a mini Les Paul, tuned like a guitalele (AEGCEA).
It was a lot of fun, and they feel well made. Humbucker pickup!

Apparently they also come in Flying V (Pee Vee).

The prices are quite low too. Check it out :D

I've been looking at these for a little while as well as a few other "Micro" guitars.It seems like a pretty good deal for what all you get(amp,case,strap), but I have yet to see any good reviews on this model that don't involve replacing the tuners and/or extensive setup.Did you purchase this or did you just get a few moments in on it at the store?If you did purchase I would live to hear a review from you regarding out of the box playability.Thanks!

I didn't purchase it, but was just playing it briefly in store.
It's very tempting, but I'm not really keen on 6 strings. 4 strings is my playability of choice.

I jammed with it in store for about 20~30 mins. It seemed good. Action feels right, intonation seems right and the sound seems right. It was quite comfortable to play.
Can't really comment on the tuners - I tuned it up once so I don't know whether they slip.

I guess you could expect the quality of a typical Epiphone electric guitar.
Good value and well designed, but made cheaper than the Gibsons (which are expensive).

I think it's quite playable off the shelf. Personally if I purchased it, I wouldn't feel the need for a setup or tuner change.

Last edited:
The ones that I saw at Guitar Center all had horrible set-ups with a huge drop-off in action. The finish on the 3 that I tried all were poorly done as well. From afar, I thought it was a good concept until i picked it up! :6

Makes you wonder why solid, steel string, electric ukes are so expensive...
...these sell for only $175 including an amp

You typo'd the tuning, it's ADGCEA.

I'd rather play my electric guitar if it's gonna be an electric guitalele.

I agree, if you want the electric guitar sound, play an electric guitar.
If you struggle with guitar chords use a capo at the 5th fret and you are ukulele tuned.

I just bought a used one so will find out how much crap it is. Most guitar user reviewers who replaced the tuners and in some instances the bridge and put the right gauge strings on were pretty happy, a few replaced the pickup as well. The Risa guitarlele isn't made any longer, I have a short scale classical now, about 1/2 size that I even have a little trouble reaching on, and also trouble on the thinner necked vintage 3/4 size acoustic steel strings. I can reach baritone scale size fine.

I had a nice Gibson solid body electric for a few weeks and it felt like butter to play around with, but a capo didn't help me much. Still a long neck, a lot of weight even though this was a lighter model, and I have no room for a big case. I want electric steel strings, so am crossing my fingers. Anyone has one and has any advice please let me know. :)

Got it today, all it needed was the fingerboard smoothed with steel wool and oiled and the frets polished free of dust/gunk build up from sitting out a long while, bridge lowered to lower the action, sprayed on some finger ease, tuned it up to ADGCEA, cute little beast! Intonation is great. Super fit to hold it. Very slick to move around on after cleaning, before I was actually getting stuck trying to slide up the neck. Finish is super. This is a Chinese model too. This one would be worth the $300 MSRP, but they are on Amazon for $179.99 new.

When you just don't have the room for another guitar is the "why", lol. Now I'll move along the steel sting acoustics.

Top Bottom