Islander Affordable ukuleles from...Kanilea?

Hey what? Kanilea now has its own import line check out Joe in this Video
opps 29 mintues processsing time

Wow. Can't wait to hear what those sound like. Anything like a Kanilea?
Do they have a similar UV gloss finish?

That sounds interesting. However, I am even more interested in this rumored "peg-pals" coming out of Kanilea. :)

The folks at Kanilea said they are preparing pics for the website now, and islanders should be out in May sometime.

I don't like the headstock decal, but otherwise, except for the bridge pins, the solid mahogany tenor looks like the Kala, tortoise binding and all. I can't wait to hear them either.

http://islanderukulele.com/page12.aspx

Still no arrival of the Islander ukuleles?
:(

Anyone ever hear one? I saw the interview with them but the sound didn't tell me much? I love Kanilea but if it is a repackaged Kala, that would be a big disappointment. Kala makes great stuff but I would rather buy a Kala then.

While Kanilea makes some outstanding ukes, these Islanders ukes don't seem to be anything special. They don't even resemeble Kanilea at all except for maybe the bridge pins. I haven't played one or seen one in person but there seem to be nicer offerings from Kala, etc.

Yeah, I just wonder. It would be great if they were special though! Thanks for your guesses.

According to Kanile'a Facebook page, they changed the headstock logo.

Don't bother watching this video which was uploaded yesterday of Joe Souza talking about and holding an Islander uke. You can't see the uke up close, nor did Joe play it so you can't hear what it sounds like.

I called and asked also about if they were going to use the TRU bracing and they said "No". I have recently been on a Kanilea buying kick and their stuff is out of this world. Totally different level than all the others I have played. If their Mohag. Islander was made the same, I would buy one without hesitation. I don't suspect it will be though(insert sad disappointed face here).

I want to see what the new headstock looks like? I can't even look at the current one! That tacky.

Kanile'a Islander Sound Samples

Here's a video that shows the sound of some of the Islander
ukuleles. I bought the soprano and concert versions and really
like the sound that comes out of these ukuleles. My wife and I
are beginners and we previously played with a Braddah soprano
purchased in 1997 and a Kamaka Keiki soprano made in 1969. We
like the Islanders because they are easy to hold chords on the
fretboard. The sound is also louder and richer than our Braddah
and Kamaka. Since we live on Oahu, we actually bought the
ukuleles from the guy in the video.

http://theukulelereview.com/2011/07/31/islander-ukulele-by-kanilea-video-review/
MS-4, MC-4, MT-4, MSS-4, MST-4

I got a lamin. Concert and it is really great! I don't think they are pretty at all but it sounds pretty darn good.

Top Bottom