Two years — What the uke happened?

Harold O.

Reaction score
I just noticed that I joined UU two years ago. My playing days started a month or so before that. UAS has me at 9 and counting. My picking skills haven't materialized, though I can strum along well enough.

In these past two years, I have gone from never playing any musical instrument whatsoever to leading the Canogahana Players twice a month, sang and strummed rhythm uke with a rock band for a year, and was recorded for the Survivor TV show.:cool:

Now entering year three, the schedule includes Canogahana Players (ever-expanding), a trip to the NAMM show, hosting/promoting a Lil'Rev concert, hosting/promoting two Pete Howlett uke building courses, and building uke display cases. That's just the stuff already on my plate. :drool:

What the uke happened??? I got sucked in for sure! Guess I ought to be more careful about the things I get good at.

Aloha Harold O.,
Your plate IS full, but full of things you love and that's not a bad thing. Bravo for you Bro...................BO..............

Aloha Harold,
Glad to hear you're having fun with your ukulele passion and journey...and you're progressing out even further...thanks for expanding the ukulele movement and Have Fun and Enjoy!! Happy Strummings!!! MM Stan.

Way to get it done, Harold. The uke is a life changer!

Aloha Harold,
Glad to hear you're having fun with your ukulele passion and journey...and you're progressing out even further...thanks for expanding the ukulele movement and Have Fun and Enjoy!! Happy Strummings!!! MM Stan.

Passion is the key here. My family and I were on Oahu for the first week of January. We saw the touristy sites and had a good time with it. But most of our stories were generated by the young guys at the new PuaPua ukulele shop in Waikiki (never found the one in the Sheraton), a short visit with Music Guy Mike, and the Kanile'a factory tour. In short, it was uke people that made the trip memorable. We even caught the beginning of a Jake concert outside a mall one night.

We all find ways to explore passion. I'll never be on a big stage playing to a huge crowd of adoring fans. But I can help spread the uke vibe in other ways. Like Einstein said, "Nothing happens until something moves."

Some people believe in fate, I believe in ukulele. Like you, it has guided my path and has enriched it.
It was great meeting you Harold and good luck with the display cases. I believe there's a market for them. And thanks for the goody package!

We appreciate all your Uke activities, Harold. There really needed to be a uke group like the Canogahana Players in the area, and the new events like Lil' Rev workshop/ concert and the uke building with Pete Howlett are going to be great fun!

–Lori

Congrats Harold. I like you have never played any instrument before. I am 43 years old and have been learning the Uke on my own for 2 months and simply love it. Your accomplishments inspire me. Thanks for posting this thread.

Congrats Harold. I like you have never played any instrument before. I am 43 years old and have been learning the Uke on my own for 2 months and simply love it. Your accomplishments inspire me. Thanks for posting this thread.

I reached 50 last Summer. The math says I started playing at age 48, so you're right in the range...

Way to go Harold!
I'm awed by your achievements. Like others said, all I have done so far (a year for me) is played some, and collected a few.
I'm pretty much in the same boat as SweetWaterBlue, been playing for a year or so but still not very good. I just don't seem to be able to find time to practice. But I've really gotten in to repairing/restoring old ukes and building them as well, and have gone from no uke to 12 in about 18 months!

Top Bottom