New Kiwaya Laminates all geared?

pdxuke

Reaction score
Last edited:
attachment.php

Those thin line models have Gotoh (original) gear pegs F-1.
(I tried them last August and they had traditional soprano uke sound than I expected.)

KIWAYA is selling a lot more ukes under several brands (and builders) in Japan than what you see in the US. High end series like KTS are sold under Luna brand in Japan, which all have friction pegs.
Some ukes sold under different brands have gear pegs.

So I guess those thin lines are just exceptions.

Cheers,
Terry

Someone said this eco line of Kiwayas is already not being manufactured, so I guess I got a rare one, if they weren't out in Jan 2011 but are done now. LOL

Oh that's interesting, and too bad - they're nice little ukes.

I have the KS-0P pineapple. I love everything about it except the geared tuners! When I first got it I considered switching them out for friction tuners.

Hello, Jane. I appreciate being part of your Kiwaya KS club! I see, from searching here, that there are few of us. I tried to find the thread, and it had aboiut 6-7 replies, from UU Forum that mentioned that they may have ceased making the KS eco line, and it had several replies suggesting reasons: high price for a laminate hurts sales, that sort of thing. I cannot find it now. But, it was all conjecture. I know that the eco KS line is their least expensive line...sort of like BMW making Minicoopers. Still great little cars! I'm pleased as punch to find one on eBay, and hope that it'll get here soon. The deal was too good to pass up, even though I'm all uked out (with plenty of midline $150 jobbies, and a couple nice ones). Your is a Pineapple KS, so likely even more rare and good. If you have suggestions on strings, I think I want to swap out the GHS Blacks for maybe Worth Brown Mediums. Thoughts? I, too, like friction tuners. I see that some do fit this uke for $20 which includes shipping, from the same eBay "store" that I bought the Kiwaya. So, I might just do as you say. Cheers, Jane.

PS I love your Pineapple Kamaka on your photos. Sweet and juicy as a real pineapple. And we're about the same age, judging by your 7 year old uke pic. No Kiwaya Pineapple KS-0 pictures though. :-(

I'm pleased as punch to find one on eBay, and hope that it'll get here soon. The deal was too good to pass up, even though I'm all uked out (with plenty of midline $150 jobbies, and a couple nice ones).

Mine was an eBay find also - a deal too good to pass up, and I had wanted something a little more bombproof than the Kamakas that I could take to the beach, leave in the trunk, etc.

If you have suggestions on strings, I think I want to swap out the GHS Blacks for maybe Worth Brown Mediums. Thoughts?

Mine came strung with Aquilas and even though I don't mind Aquilas on most ukes, they sounded pretty awful on this one. I had Martin M600s on hand so that's what I went with, and I think they sound pretty nice. Worths or other fluorocarbons would probably be a good choice as well.

And we're about the same age, judging by your 7 year old uke pic. No Kiwaya Pineapple KS-0 pictures though. :-(

LOL! In the "average age of a ukester" thread that's been going around here the past few days, my age is revealed :) And you are right, I've been pretty remiss when it comes to photography - should probably update that gallery soon...

Top Bottom