PDA

View Full Version : The Duke of Ukes Ukulele Giveaway!

DukeOfUkes
01-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Now that The Duke of Ukes is in full swing we would like to celebrate by offering a Gold Tone GU-100 Ukulele, complete with Hard Case, to one lucky Uker!

All you need to do to enter is Become A Fan of our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Duke-Of-Ukes/179013275442261) & compose a Ukulele inspired Limerick on the wall! How easy is that?

The winning entry will be the funniest, most clever poem & the number of Likes each receives will be taken into account, though will not necessarily be the determining factor. We will only be running this contest for 2 weeks, so get your entry in by January 31st! The winner will be announced February 1st, unless there is a massive number of last minute entries in which case we will need some extra time to fairly look at each of them.

The GU-100 is a fantastic little ukulele from Gold Tone that is based around the traditional Martin design. It comes complete with a fitted hard case & will give you years of dedicated service. It has a matte finish & excellent intonation.

So head over to our Facebook page & Become A Fan! (http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Duke-Of-Ukes/179013275442261) Make sure to check back before the end of the month & Like your favorite rhyme!

Kem
01-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Alas...I enjoy composing limericks but refuse to join Facebook for a number of complex but boring reasons that I won't get into here. I have been keeping an eye on your site, as you seem to be that rarest of commodities: a Canadian ukulele distributor. The very concept brings tears of joy to my eyes.

Good luck, Facebooker Limerickers.

DukeOfUkes
01-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Kem, I am not one to keep a good limericker down. Feel free to post yours here & with your permission I will post it to the page for you!

philxbx
01-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Liked and entered!

DukeOfUkes
01-16-2011, 03:32 AM
Just a reminder, I see people Liking the page, but I don't see any Ukulele Limericks going up on the wall! Make sure to read through the first post carefully for the contest requirements!

krabbers
01-16-2011, 09:31 AM
grr dont do facebook

a uke playing cowboy called murray
played his sop-rano all over surrey
he would strum it all day
till the sun went away
and his nights he would spend eating curry

xhedgehogsrockx
01-16-2011, 10:08 AM
can we make more than one entry?

diego
01-16-2011, 10:57 AM
I was thinking about my limerick, but I liked the page anyway, the limerick will come as soon as the muse hits me.

casarole45
01-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Great stuff guys =D I'm in

bonesigh
01-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Got mine in...that was fun! Great contest 'n good luck to all.

RyanMFT
01-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the contest! I had a lot of fun writing mine!

raecarter
01-16-2011, 09:18 PM
I posted on the wall but don't have many Facebook friends? Here's my limmerick: I once had a Uke made of plastic,
But it didn't sound that fantastic.
I got on the blower and called the Duke for some koa,
and now I am really ecstatic!

Eric Blooduke
01-17-2011, 01:42 AM
OK, entry in:
A ukulele fakir from Delhi
Said he could play while stood on his belly
Were a bear, a gnu
And a red kangaroo
All eating ice cream and jelly

DukeOfUkes
01-17-2011, 04:26 AM
Haha wow there are some great entries posted already! I love the song entry contests but felt it would be good for people to express their love of the Uke in other ways too!

Looks like Rae is an early favorite judging by the number of Likes.

Make sure to Share the page with your Uke playing friends! And yes you can make multiple entries.
:cool:

raecarter
01-17-2011, 04:54 AM
Haha wow there are some great entries posted already! I love the song entry contests but felt it would be good for people to express their love of the Uke in other ways too!

Looks like Rae is an early favorite judging by the number of Likes.

Make sure to Share the page with your Uke playing friends! And yes you can make multiple entries.
:cool:

Yeah I've got a small number of friends but they are very caring lol

krabbers
01-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Yeah I've got a small number of friends but they are very caring lol
well if i was on facebook i would like you up rae

raecarter
01-17-2011, 10:40 AM
well if i was on facebook i would like you up rae

Right back at ya blud!

ukuloonie
01-17-2011, 11:50 AM
I was hoping I could enter here as well. this is my first entry

There was once was a man with a smile
his life full of happiness and sore trial
I couldn't figure out why
he had that twinkle in his eye
till I saw him playing his ukulele

Ukulele Jim
01-17-2011, 12:16 PM
You didn't say they couldn't be filthy.

I'm just sayin'.

Beware of mine.

ukuloonie
01-17-2011, 01:05 PM
What about this one

Plinkity plonkity plink.
I play the ukulele and I stink
I really dont care
my family despair
Plinkity plonkity plink.

OldePhart
01-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Hmmm...this is almost...almost...enough to get me to sign up on spacebook. Nah, I'm not sure I could bring myself to do that even if you promised me a uke just for signing up --- well, okay, I suppose it depends on the uke!

John

sharp21
01-18-2011, 04:43 AM
You didn't say they couldn't be filthy.

I'm just sayin'.

Beware of mine.

Traditionally limericks were pretty racy! You'll be alright.

And to the non Facebookers, you don't know what you are missing!

OldePhart
01-18-2011, 03:54 PM
And to the non Facebookers, you don't know what you are missing!

Yeah, actually, I do. My wife and daughter are on there. I don't know how many times it took until I finally got through to my wife that I really don't want to hear about every alert she gets - that if I cared what a friend of a friend of a friend was cooking her husband for dinner I'd have my own spacebook account!
:biglaugh:

John

DukeOfUkes
01-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Lots of great posts! Keep them coming!

gnomethang
01-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Hope gnomethang posted OK (Barry)

Ukulele Jim
01-20-2011, 01:12 PM
I'm putting in the effort.

raecarter
01-21-2011, 12:56 AM
I don't know whether I should do some more I like mine but its not necessarily funny is that a definite pre requisite?

DukeOfUkes
01-21-2011, 05:02 AM
As long as it is clever & well written. Racy is fine too but keep in mind that I'll need to post the winning rhyme on my website where it will stay for the rest of time, so try to keep it PG13

Ukulele Jim
01-21-2011, 05:48 AM
PG-13 is a slippery slope. You're using a movie rating system, and technically under that particular rating the "F" word can be used once in a non-sexual context.

But I am trying to keep it cleaner than that. Mostly. :)

DukeOfUkes
01-22-2011, 04:21 AM
The entries are coming in fast & furious now! If you haven't already entered then do so today! It is easy & fun!

SparkyUkulele
01-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Great contest :D It's very original. I didn't think I'd be able to do it but today I decided to give it a go :) Hope it counts as PG-13!

Thanks for the contest Duke of Ukes,

Sparky

Cokecan72
01-23-2011, 12:16 AM
Posted on facebook and i thought i would post it on here too..
One my Mum wrote for me... her 38 year old son... :) Love ya Mum xx

Oh Dan you are the Uke Man,
Playing it has hard as you can,
Playing day & Night
Just to get it just right,
And your mummy is your No.1 fan xxxxxxxxxxxx

DukeOfUkes
01-23-2011, 03:05 AM
Great contest :D It's very original. I didn't think I'd be able to do it but today I decided to give it a go :) Hope it counts as PG-13!

Thanks for the contest Duke of Ukes,

Sparky

My pleasure! Make a few entries, it gets easier the more you do it!

Ataraxia
01-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Submitted. Thanks for the fun contest and good luck to everyone involved!

fitncrafty
01-26-2011, 07:30 AM
I just submitted a limerick myself and so did my husband. I had fun trying to come up with some... There's a LOT of duds scratched on paper here now! :)
Thanks for a fun contest... My playing will certainly award me nothing unless it it the booby prize!

lordlogan
01-26-2011, 11:34 AM
i was so excited when i had seen the entry post and there was 3 people on it then i noticed it said wall so i clicked it and now i know i lost:(

DukeOfUkes
01-28-2011, 04:57 AM
There sure are a lot of great entries posted! It is going to be tough to choose a winner... We are going to have to go to an impartial panel!

Ataraxia
01-28-2011, 06:01 AM
I'm not sure if double posts are accepted, I put my first post as a response to the comment regarding the contest and I just put one under the wall section.. I'd like to submit that one (wall) if only one is allowed :D (Tyler Rogers on FB) Thanks!

DukeOfUkes
01-28-2011, 06:27 AM
Post as many as you want! 4 days to go!

Valerie
01-28-2011, 12:46 PM
I too, have no face book account. But here is a try at the contest: (oh, it only work's with the popular (if not traditional) pronunciation of a word...)

There once was a jumping flea,
Who needed a new hobby.
He tried the guitar,
But didn't get far.
But he mastered the ukulele!

DukeOfUkes
01-29-2011, 09:47 AM
The entries are coming fast & furious! Go to the Page & Like your favorites!
(http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Duke-Of-Ukes/179013275442261)

DukeOfUkes
01-31-2011, 05:33 AM
Last day for the contest! Make sure to get your entries in!

Ukulele Jim
01-31-2011, 07:51 AM
So are you really basing this on the number of "likes"? It seems like it would be easy to put a request out to all one's Facebook friends to go in there and stack the deck with a bunch of "likes" for their buddy's entry...

raecarter
01-31-2011, 08:07 AM
So are you really basing this on the number of "likes"? It seems like it would be easy to put a request out to all one's Facebook friends to go in there and stack the deck with a bunch of "likes" for their buddy's entry...

I assumed the idea of the contest was to spread the word of the website in a fun way?

DukeOfUkes
01-31-2011, 08:51 AM
To reiterate post number one: The winning entry will be the funniest, most clever poem & the number of Likes each receives will be taken into account, though will not necessarily be the determining factor.

Good luck!

Ukulele Jim
01-31-2011, 09:02 AM
Okay, thanks for the clarification. I'd forgotten that part. :)

raecarter
01-31-2011, 09:11 AM
Good luck everyone!

lancemanion
01-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Just thought I would post my limericks here for those who don't facebook, enjoy (p.s. Jim, thanks for being a good sport):

There once was a musician named Luke
Who's hands were too big for his uke
Chords, he just couldn't play
But with ladies in the hay
His talents they couldn't rebuke

There once was a musician from Leets
Who played the ukulele with his feets
He sung beautiful prose
Picking chords with his toes
But had trouble keeping the beats

There once was a girl from Nantucket
Who kept her ukulele in a bucket
I asked, "Is she dumb,
cause there's no way to strum"
She said she prefers to pluck it

DukeOfUkes
02-01-2011, 07:04 AM
Contest closed!

Stay tuned to find out who won. With so many great entries it is going to take some careful deliberation!

lordlogan
02-01-2011, 07:23 AM
Contest closed!

Stay tuned to find out who won. With so many great entries it is going to take some careful deliberation!

sure hope its me :)

Ukulele Jim
02-01-2011, 07:39 AM
Jim, thanks for being a good sport

It's all in good fun, brotha!

gnomethang
02-01-2011, 09:07 AM
G'Luck Everyone!

DukeOfUkes
02-01-2011, 04:38 PM
The results are in!

I've got to say I never expected the turnout to be as big as it was & I want to thank everyone for taking part! There were so many great entries which has made picking a winner a tall order indeed...

The entries filled right to the brim
Making it tough choosing who was to win
The Duke thanks you all
For entering your scrawl
Now the winner is declared to be....

Jim! (Clark that is...)

It wasn't the volume entered that did it, but the fact that each rhyme presented was flawless & extremely clever, with no funny rhymes or words.

The one that got me was this 2 parter:

There once was a cat named Bailey

Who learned how to play ukulele.

He never chased rats

Like all other cats;

He preferred to caterwaul daily.

But the cat was kind of a putz.
And his cat friends thought he was nuts.
Did he know how they made
The strings that he played?
'Cuz they came from a relative's guts!

Well done Jim & congrats!

Honorable mention also goes to Ian Chadwick & Eric Hicks, Rae Carter & Philip Chapman. This wasn't part of the original plan but I am going to send each of you a set of Aquilas strings for your entries! I'll be in touch with everyone to get your mailing addresses!

Thanks again & well done to everyone who participated!

lancemanion
02-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Congrats Jim, you truly deserved to win.

SparkyUkulele
02-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Yep - truly a limerick genius - it's like a superpower :D I've never seen better limericks. That cat one is totally awesome! Congratulations! ^_^

Sparky

Ukulele Jim
02-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks!!!

An added bonus is that the contest inspired me to write a new tune called "The Ukulele Limerick Song" using all my limericks. I'm going to record a video of it and post it soon.

raecarter
02-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Congrats Jim you put a lot of effort into it well deserved winner! Thanks a lot dukes of Ukes for the strings!

gnomethang
02-02-2011, 01:16 AM
Congratulations Jim, the winning entry was thoroughly excellent. Hope you enjoy the Uke!
Gnomethang (Barry)

Eric Blooduke
02-02-2011, 07:10 AM
To the victor, goes the uke

Deliberate misquote of New York senator, William L. Marcy