PDA

View Full Version : I've got a soprano Flea, is is worth it to get a concert Fluke?

J_Tay81
01-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Really, is there that much of a difference between them? (This is hypothetical - I'm not in the market for any more instruments at this time).

pdxuke
01-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Really, is there that much of a difference between them? (This is hypothetical - I'm not in the market for any more instruments at this time).

I think many would argue there is a difference--in tone, scale, looks. I find that my one pineapple print flea is adequate for me personally. I used to be not much of a fan, preferring all wood ukes--but I've really grown to be quite fond of my flea. What I do think would be worth considering is the new banjo uke: I'll probably bite on that--although I see you have a vintage banjo uke, so you may not be as tempted.

NatalieS
01-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Having owned both, I do believe there is a significant difference in tone between the Flea and Fluke. The Flea sounds higher and more bell-like, while the larger body of the Fluke gives it a louder sound with more emphasis on lower notes.

Aw heck, maybe I should just link to this video I found on YT, it does a good job of showing the difference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB3yCtg9jOo

J_Tay81
01-15-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the vid. It almost looks like the Fluke would be less comfortable to play due to its body shape than the Flea.

Plainsong
01-15-2011, 02:16 PM
The Fluke is less comfortable for me, and I prefer the look and sound of the Flea, but they're both fun ukes to have.