I've got a soprano Flea, is is worth it to get a concert Fluke?

J_Tay81

Reaction score
Really, is there that much of a difference between them? (This is hypothetical - I'm not in the market for any more instruments at this time).

Really, is there that much of a difference between them? (This is hypothetical - I'm not in the market for any more instruments at this time).

I think many would argue there is a difference--in tone, scale, looks. I find that my one pineapple print flea is adequate for me personally. I used to be not much of a fan, preferring all wood ukes--but I've really grown to be quite fond of my flea. What I do think would be worth considering is the new banjo uke: I'll probably bite on that--although I see you have a vintage banjo uke, so you may not be as tempted.

Having owned both, I do believe there is a significant difference in tone between the Flea and Fluke. The Flea sounds higher and more bell-like, while the larger body of the Fluke gives it a louder sound with more emphasis on lower notes.

Aw heck, maybe I should just link to this video I found on YT, it does a good job of showing the difference.

Thanks for the vid. It almost looks like the Fluke would be less comfortable to play due to its body shape than the Flea.

The Fluke is less comfortable for me, and I prefer the look and sound of the Flea, but they're both fun ukes to have.

Top Bottom