PDA

View Full Version : Ouch! Blondie disses the ukulele!

mds725
01-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Today's Blondie comic strip.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19335&d=1295135752

mm stan
01-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Sheesh...didn't see it yet!! Auwe.....

bassfiddlesteve
01-15-2011, 04:01 PM
http://www.blondie.com/dailies/2011/1/15.jpg

- Steve

OldePhart
01-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Ouch! Nice supportive spouse, there! :mad:

Kinda funny, though.

John

mm stan
01-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Aloha Steve,
And Mahalo for posting the comic strip....Appriciate it very much!!! MM Stan..

Hippie Dribble
01-15-2011, 09:45 PM
aaawww, that's a lovely strip. Surely there's got to be more than a touch of the uke-lover in the cartoonist! :)

TCK
01-15-2011, 10:26 PM
priceless comic there

SuzukHammer
01-16-2011, 05:25 AM
Makes me love my wife even more.

olgoat52
01-16-2011, 06:04 AM
kind of a witch, isn't she. A man's home is his castle huh?

whetu
01-16-2011, 10:39 AM
*Starts a sarcastic slow clap*

Well done, comic author :rolleyes:

I Ukulista
01-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Man like that needs a shed.

SweetWaterBlue
01-16-2011, 10:52 AM
I don't think it was so much dissing the ukulele as it was "man trying to learn to play new musical instrument."

When my middle son rented a house with my youngest son for awhile, he had the misfortune of living with a brother trying to learn the play the guitar. It drove him crazy. When I was learning to play the trumpet in middle school, my poor mom had to listen to the same scales and studies over and over and over again. Mom's must have special genes that wives don't have, because even to this day she still likes to hear me play.

Hippie Dribble
01-16-2011, 11:59 AM

- Steve

Steve and Mark,

is there a link to that particular comic strip on the internet? I'd love to print it up, then enlarge it and laminate it...anyone???

swervy jervy
01-16-2011, 12:15 PM
More accurately, a woman is belittling her husband. A comic strip classic on par with the chronic neighborhood alcoholic and child loser variations, i.e. Lucy is a shrew, Charlie Brown is a trod upon milquetoast and Linus a fey unattainable. Then you got the stink-lines kid. He represents the bottom of the social hierarchy. A notch below the fatty.

Hippie Dribble
01-16-2011, 12:28 PM
More accurately, a woman is belittling her husband. A comic strip classic on par with the chronic neighborhood alcoholic and child loser variations, i.e. Lucy is a shrew, Charlie Brown is a trod upon milquetoast and Linus a fey unattainable. Then you got the stink-lines kid. He represents the bottom of the social hierarchy. A notch below the fatty.

hey swervy...I like your breakdown of the 3 Peanuts characters!!!...sheesh! we need a whole thread for this...we could ruminate (at least I could :o) upon these things for hours...:)

MiG-19
01-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Dagwood needs a man cave!

swervy jervy
01-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Here's the situation in a nutshell:

http://bunkstrutts.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/sluggo-mask_this-isnt-happiness-1004044.jpg

Get it?

Hippie Dribble
01-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Here's the situation in a nutshell:

http://bunkstrutts.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/sluggo-mask_this-isnt-happiness-1004044.jpg

Get it?

yep, get it. nice! :)

swervy jervy
01-16-2011, 03:14 PM
yep, get it. nice! :)

Sluggo is so cool. You can project any archtype (or sub-norm) on him. Buddhist monk or hangman - he's a cipher. Are you familiar with him in Oz?

Ukuleleblues
01-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Dagwood is a PW. Plus how does he eat all those sandwiches and not gain weight...?

mds725
01-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Steve and Mark,

is there a link to that particular comic strip on the internet? I'd love to print it up, then enlarge it and laminate it...anyone???

Here you go: http://blondie.com/strip.php?month=1&year=2011&comic=2011-1-15

mds725
01-16-2011, 04:02 PM
I don't think it was so much dissing the ukulele as it was "man trying to learn to play new musical instrument."

It's possible, but I don't think so. There's nothing to indicate that Dagwood has never played the ukulele before, and there's no mention by Blondie that Dagwood is finally going to learn to play the ukulele. Also, the drawn notes in the first panel look normal. The cartoon convention for a note that's being played badly would be to bend or fracture the line coming up from the dot part of the note. And unlike most instruments, the ukulele doesn't sound so bad when it's being played by someone who has never played it before. That's why I think that Dagwood is playing the ukulele pretty well, and that Blondie just doesn't like the sound of the ukulele.

mds725
01-16-2011, 04:06 PM
hey swervy...I like your breakdown of the 3 Peanuts characters!!!...sheesh! we need a whole thread for this...we could ruminate (at least I could :o) upon these things for hours...:)

In college, I wrote a paper in which I used "Peanuts" to illustrate concepts of both Marxist and Freudian theory. For example, I found one Peanuts strip where Linus buils a sand castle, and Lucy comes along threatening to destroy it. Linus then destroys it himself so that Lucy won't be able to. I thought it represented the way an oppressive government convinces its own citizens to self-oppress.

Ukuleleblues
01-16-2011, 04:06 PM
It's possible, but I don't think so. There's nothing to indicate that Dagwood has never played the ukulele before, and there's no mention by Blondie that Dagwood is finally going to learn to play the ukulele. Also, the drawn notes in the first panel look normal. The cartoon convention for a note that's being played badly would be to bend or fracture the line coming up from the dot part of the note. And unlike most instruments, the ukulele doesn't sound so bad when it's being played by someone who has never played it before. That's why I think that Dagwood is playing the ukulele pretty well, and that Blondie just doesn't like the sound of the ukulele.

Wow thats so funny!!! I had to read it twice. Great response :)

swervy jervy
01-16-2011, 04:24 PM
In college, I wrote a paper in which I used "Peanuts" to illustrate concepts of both Marxist and Freudian theory. For example, I found one Peanuts strip where Linus buils a sand castle, and Lucy comes along threatening to destroy it. Linus then destroys it himself so that Lucy won't be able to. I thought it represented the way an oppressive government convinces its own citizens to self-oppress.

I'd ask you to define "self-oppress" and then provide a real world example. Follow that by convincingly spelling out specific concepts of Marx and Freud that, in combination, affect populations on the individual and aggregate level. Connect that to your real world example. Finally, demonstrate how these large groups of people have access to the ideas of both men.

Your sitting at a D+ with me, buddy.

mds725
01-16-2011, 05:02 PM
I'd ask you to define "self-oppress" and then provide a real world example. Follow that by convincingly spelling out specific concepts of Marx and Freud that, in combination, affect populations on the individual and aggregate level. Connect that to your real world example. Finally, demonstrate how these large groups of people have access to the ideas of both men.

Your sitting at a D+ with me, buddy.

In all fairness, you've only read a few sentences worth of synopsis for a few pages of a 10-page paper. The actual paper itself, which may have included some of the things you requested (it was written a long time ago) got a noticably better grade. :)

swervy jervy
01-16-2011, 05:15 PM
The final piece of work I did to get my BA was a 32 page paper on the role of the East India Company and tea trade in western-model democratization in India.

I can't remember one single word. You're doing better than me.

Hippie Dribble
01-16-2011, 06:10 PM

That's a good strip for sure and interesting analogy Mark. Would love to have read your paper. Robert L. Short has also written several books on Christian themes that run throughout the Peanuts strip, which are great reads. There's another awesome strip with Linus, Lucy and the sandcastle where Lucy does kick his beautiful castle down. Linus then builds a massive canon and the final panel sees Lucy terrified, gazing down its barrel. And thanks for the link too mate, I appreciate it very much. :)

Hippie Dribble
01-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Sluggo is so cool. You can project any archtype (or sub-norm) on him. Buddhist monk or hangman - he's a cipher. Are you familiar with him in Oz?

Can't really answer for others mate, but I'm certainly not. Great concept though.

mds725
01-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Can't really answer for others mate, but I'm certainly not. Great concept though.

A little Sluggo for you

http://j-walkblog.com/images/nancy425-17.jpg

And some information about the comic strip, courtesy of Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_(comic_strip)

molokinirum
01-17-2011, 02:43 AM
hahaha...that was great. Sometime I get the same said to me, like "Can you play outside". It's all good!!!!

Fuzzy
01-17-2011, 05:47 AM
I think you all are missing the most important question; what kind of ukulele is Dagwood playing?

mds725
09-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd dredge up this thread to post the latest reference to ukuleles in the comic strip Blondie. This is the comic strip for September 28, 2011:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=28443&d=1317254071

Here's a link to the strip on the Blondie website. http://www.blondie.com/strip.php

Based on this strip, I think I have to retract my earlier theory that Blondie made Dagwood get rid of his ukulele because she hates ukuleles. It now seems possible that, even though the cartoonist failed to indicate this with his drawings (i.e., the use of fractured-looking notes to indicate an irritating musical sound), Dagwood may have played the ukulele poorly.

drbekken
09-29-2011, 04:07 AM
Well, I really didn't know that Blondie & Dagwood had issues over uke-playing! I guess my sweet blond wife gave up a very, very long time ago if she ever had any ideas that I would stop playing music (I don't believe she had). Maybe someone should start a 'uke-spotting' thread here on the forum. Ukes in comics, movies, tv shows, novels, poems or whatever...

micromue
09-29-2011, 04:43 AM

- Steve

I am completely with blondie. There is no way in hell I would accept a uke with ears in my household.

jackwhale
09-29-2011, 07:52 AM
Very funny and quite familiar. And that's the kind of garage sale I would like to run into.