Flea - string question.

Witters

Reaction score
Something was bugging me yesterday and for the life of me I couldn't think what it was. It was one of those moments when you know you have got to do something but can't remember what the heck it was.
Anyway, late last night it hit me - I have no replacement strings for my Flea.

Not a problem I hear you say, but when I realized that I had to order some, here was the problem. Living in the UK, Hilo strings are like gold dust and as such I can't find anywhere that sell them.
We have pretty much any other manufacturers strings, but no Hilo's.

So, can someone suggest alternative? I have a normal Soprano, the one with a plastic fretboard. Would Worths work, Martins, or Nylgut for instance? If not does anyone know where they ship Hilo's to the UK from the States?

many thanks.

Nylguts for loud gutsy but clean sound, Worth Clear for more crystal pling-pling. Or, like 14twelve says, try MGM for a testing pack of 4 sets. That should last you some time ;)

I have a Flea/Soprano, and I used Aquilas for a long time, but eventually settled on the Worths. I like the clear sound and smooth texture. MGM's sampler pack would certainly give you some variety to try out for a while as well.

Have fun!

Oooh, so many people seem to be talking about Worth strings lately. I think I'll have to try some. I have Aquilas on my Flea and Fluke now. Maybe if I changed one to Worth, it would make the sound difference between them more distinct.

I preferred Aquilas on my tenor Fluke. My Flea came with aquilas, and I had no complaints. But then I tried the Worth brown mediums, and much prefer those. I think it's safe to say you can skip the Hilos. ;)

theukuleleshop.co.uk has Worths. Also ukulele.de has Risa branded Worth strings. They say Risa, but then on the package it says made by Worth. And they sound like Worths.

Top Bottom