Martin 0 - dating?

Gmoney

Reaction score
I bought a vintage Martin 0 from strumsilly & wondered how to date it? I've read a bunch of threads here & many of the sites that have more info on the web, but mine is just different enough that I can't quite figure it out.

It has a Martin decal on the face of the headstock, but does NOT have Martin embossed on the back of the headstock. It has C. F. Martin, Nazereth, PA embossed in the sound hole. It has white/cream maybe Kluson tuners. Photos attached. I'm gathering that this might be as late as the 60's or 70's but that ok - it sounds beautiful!

martino2_013.jpgmartino2_003.jpgmartino2_004.jpgpegs.jpg

I bought a vintage Martin 0 from strumsilly & wondered how to date it? I've read a bunch of threads here & many of the sites that have more info on the web, but mine is just different enough that I can't quite figure it out.

It has a Martin decal on the face of the headstock, but does NOT have Martin embossed on the back of the headstock. It has C. F. Martin, Nazereth, PA embossed in the sound hole. It has white/cream maybe Kluson tuners. Photos attached. I'm gathering that this might be as late as the 60's or 70's but that ok - it sounds beautiful!

View attachment 19359View attachment 19360View attachment 19361View attachment 19362

Hard to pin down. My best guess is 60s. Post your pics at the UkeYak at Flea Market Music and ask Chuck, he'll have the best answer.

We usually frown on that sort of thing around here - we try to keep this a family friendly zone...

Sorry, couldn't pass up the low-hanging fruit... :biglaugh:

John

We usually frown on that sort of thing around here - we try to keep this a family friendly zone...

Sorry, couldn't pass up the low-hanging fruit... :biglaugh:

John

My mind went there right away too.....

On production date of that Martin, if I am not mistaken (which I frequently am), it is pre-1962 as that is when the stamp inside the body also said "Made in the USA". My best guess would be mid 50's.....especially given those tuners! How does it play/sound? I always want to pin down the date of my uke's too.....

Top Bottom