The Uke as Therapy

SweetWaterBlue

Reaction score
I am watching a PBS special on the old Apollo Astronaut program. Out of 10 of them they featured about 7 ended up divorced. Apparently there were a lot of groupies that hung around the Cape, so there was a lot of temptation, and of course never being home is a big strain on a marriage anyway.

Interestingly, at least one of the wives turned to the ukulele for consolation after her divorce. She sang a song with several of the other wives about moving on. It looked like a baritone.

Last edited:
As revenge, she plucked the uke to attract groupies of her own. It attracted an entirely unexpected type of groupie and she quickly abandoned the instrument for jazz aerobics.

There's pic somewhere out there on the interwebz of Neil Armstrong strumming a uke pensively and staring off into middle distance after coming back from the moon. If it's good enough for Neil, it's good enough for me.

I imagine a marriage under that type of strain could break with or without groupies.

There's pic somewhere out there on the interwebz of Neil Armstrong strumming a uke

108ksc69pc479r.jpg

I don't doubt that the uke can be therapeutic; all music is.

From my perspective as a teacher, where the motto is, "first, get their attention," the uke is a great tool. Playing it gathers the attention of middle school students immediately. I have to think there's a calming, therapeutic side to that.

Top Bottom