Any good ukelele apps on iPhone or iPad?

bueller

Reaction score
Title says it all - but I would love to be able to use my iPad or iPhone for uke lessons. Anyone have any good suggestions?

I have a songbook app called syncsing and it is free. I can look up songs with lyric and chords. Only thing is its chart for chords are for guitars but I keep a uke chord chart on PDF To refer to in iBooks. I use it quite a bit but maybe rely on it so much that I never actually memorize songs. Great app though I definitely recommend it. It can be used offline ad well so you don't need network connectivity. Another cool feature is you can start a session that others can join which allows you to control when the music will scroll. Scrolling can be done by tapping your iDevice or it has an autodetect feature too or you can just have it scroll at a set rate. Let me know what you think.

B

I love my iPhone for have a central repository of all my Uke toys. I always have it next to me when I practice. I usually start with Tun-d to tune my instrument, then start the metronome for my warm-ups to get into the rythm of what I will play. I am very rythm impared, so I need all the help I can get. :p

I use the following:
1. Tun-d Free (The best Ukulele tuning app I have found)
2. Metronome
3. Ukuchords (as posted by Lexxy)
4. Basichords (same as above, but more variants)
5. UkeBank (same as the two above, but you can actually strum the chord to see how it should sound)
6. Ukulele Tabs (do not exactly like the format, but good for when you are traveling)
7. GoodReader - I put this here as I like to keep my favorite TABs or the ones I am learning in PDF on my phone, this allows you to view it.

There is also a new app that was announced at NAMM 2011 that seems very promising, called Miso Music: http://ukuleleunderground.com/namm/2011/01/14/interview-with-ryan-tsukamoto-of-miso-media/

wow - great suggestions. I was not aware of most of these apps out there. I will definitely be playing around and getting a feel for them all. Thanks!

The best Uke app I've ever had is a app called GuitarToolKit. A bit pricey but holds scales, chords for guitar, bas, mandoline and ukulele (and a few other instruments if I'm not wrong).
It also has a tuner (that's actually better then my real tuner).
It's a bit pricey - but definetally worth every penny!

Anyone using Ukulele Tabs having an issue with iPhone 4 Os 4.1 (can't updated to 4.2 yet due to need of unbeta untethered jailbreak)? It just randomly crashes after it figures you've browsed enough. Mightily annoying.

I'm probably the last one in the world to discover this, since I don't use Band in a Box, but I thought this was cool enough to make me want an iPod. Its often tough for some of us to work out the logistics of practicing with other players, but this goes a long way towards solving that.

For the iPhone and iPad, I like Amplitube. The downside is you have to buy it for each platform, but it is fun to give yourself some amp effects.

But the best app I have bought (uke related) for me is ForScore for the iPhone. I used to travel with my huge three ring binder so have my music with me, and now I have it all scanned into .pdf form into this app. I used Goodreader briefly but I like this a lot better for a couple of reasons -- any .pdf on the internet or sent to you in an email you have the option of directly downloading into the program, so you don't have to scan it or upload with your iTunes computer. Second, you can link any song from your iTunes library to the .pdf so that it will play along with you while you play or read the sheet music. I also find it is a lot easier to swipe the iPad to turn a page than it is to manually turn a paper page in a notebook. I love it to death and highly recommend it.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/forscore/id363738376?mt=8

The best I have found is Onsong 1.96 for the iPad. Check it out.

Not specifically for lessons but I guess you could consider learning new songs from it as lessons.

Last edited:
I would love to be able to use my iPad or iPhone for uke lessons. Anyone have any good suggestions?

None that I can think of. No.

There is only one lesson that I know of and it is taught by Jake. It's through the "On The Path to Music" app, but the lesson is an in app purchase of like $15. It covers mainly how to play Gently Weeps. Pretty cool for what it is, but probably not worth it if you already have the tab.

I like ukulele companion. Has chords, scales, a tuner, a metronome, the works. Easy chord reference.

Just found Ukulele Chord Detector. Universal app for iPhone or iPad. It takes songs from your phone, generates the chords, and displays them in scrolling or table format while the song is playing. Also has tempo control so you can slow it down for learning. Can't talk to the validity of the chord it creates, since I am a beginner with less than a month on uke, but a quick test with a leftover cuties song looks like it might be a good tool. *Not a sales pitch, I have no affiliation with this software

Top Bottom