Places you've been where you've thought, "man, I wish I had my uke!"

ukunuke

Reaction score
Just got back from a couple weeks on Bonaire, and was surprised at how many times during vacation that I wished I'd brought along my ukulele. I'm not sure if this is a common feeling, or if I have a serious addiction starting. So has anyone else experienced the same thing? if so, where were you when the "need a uke fix" came over you?

I especially notice it when I'm in waiting. Such as, at the airport or sitting outside my daughter's school waiting for the bell to ring. I try to keep an el Cheapo in the car.

It was all the way back on New Years Eve in 2010 (my god that was a long time ago! XD) at my friend, Jill's house.
There was only 4 of us at her house, and the neighbourhood seemed deserted, so the whole place was quiet.
One of my friends and I were kicking-back and chilling in a large hammock, that Jill had connected between 2 palm trees.
It was really peaceful and relaxing to watch the leaves sway above us while the hammock was gently rocking.
The temperature was perfect; lovely and warm (it's summer time in Australia).
And the sun was about 30mins - 1 hour away from setting, giving the sky a lovely clear and vibrant colour.
I had only had my uke for under a week, so it may have contributed to it, but it was at that moment, where everything was peaceful and calm, that I wanted to play my uke. It seemed like the perfect time to strum something out. But seeing that I didn't have it with me....I hummed instead XD

When I travel - I usually take an ukulele with me.

On holiday.
My wife (love her)will not pack a ukulele.
Strain on the relation ship!
Got me a Kala travel soprano and a sopranino.
Separate holidays have been mooted......

My family and I spent the Christmas week in the Dominican Republic. I wasn't sure what the uke travel situation would be like, so I carried my beater with me on the plane. I considered not taking one, but I'm glad I took the chance! So that was a situation where I would have missed my uke if I hadn't had it.
The moral of the story is that it's better to take the chance and have one with you rather than playing it safe and missing it.

I wish I'd had my uke:

1) While my father-in-law was still alive (He was BIG into music and loved the songs of the Roaring 20's, Al Jolson, and the WWII era)
2) While my mother-in-law and grandmother were both in the same nursing home at the same time. We had a small group of residents who used to meet in the lobby several nights a week at 6pm and I would play old recordings on my computer while we all talked and goofed around. It was a very special time for all of us, but it would have been really amazing had I taken up the uke around that time.

This Christmas, I brought my uke to my mother's house in Florida again, although it never seems to get played while I'm there. I almost left it home this time, but I grabbed it at the last minute. For the first time ever, not only did it get played, but it contributed to one of the best memories my mom (and her best friend) will have. I had brought some sheets of Christmas songs and we sang our hearts out to each and every one of them. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my Old Time Singalong book, but I was able to fake my way through songs like "Ain't She Sweet," "Yes Sir, That's My Baby," etc, so we really had a great time.

From now on, the uke comes with me EVERYWHERE!

(This was a great idea for a thread, by the way. Thanks, ukunuke!)

Last week for me. I was in Chicago on a business trip and could not bring my Uke since I did not have a case. Talk about withdrawal...

This IS a great idea for a thread.
Like several above I've taken to packing my uke for just about any trip we take.
When i first started playing two years ago, I was a bit shy about getting it out in company (I mean my uke ;-). But I did cart it to Australia to a friends birthday party and overcame that shyness to play often over the weekend. I'd learned a song especially for her so that was a hit and boosted my confidence.

We recently visited a family member in prison. In that stark and loveless place I wished I could sit and strum as we talked. They wouldn't let it in anyway though. Probably concerned about a case of spontaneous joy breaking out in their little dark kingdom.

Everytime I'm on a flight at the airport sitting in the plane waiting for my passengers to show up.

This is why I love my RISA Uke Stick. I can bring it anywhere (fits in a briefcase) and play it non-amplified if I don't want to bother anyone, or stick in an AMPUPLUGNPLAY to play at normal volume. I'll even plug it into my iPhone/iPad via AmpKit to mess around with some funky effects.

I always wish I had mine after I am done paddle boarding. I like to just sit and stare at the ocean and drink my coffee. I just hate to leave my uke in the car while I am out in the water. I guess I will have to just buy an inexpensive uke.

>>>I guess I will have to just buy an inexpensive uke.<<<<

That is why ALL my ukes are inexpensive ones.

Faculty meetings. Especially at the university level...:cool:

A couple of years ago I went to Maui without bringing a ukulele. I suffered from ukulele withdraw (how can you not play the ukulele on the balcony while facing the ocean in Hawaii???) so I bought a Kamaka on the 2nd to last day. The following year when I went to Oahu I made sure I brought a ukulele with me...and I still ended up buying one there!

Everytime I'm on a flight at the airport sitting in the plane waiting for my passengers to show up.

LOVE that one! 'Cause... I'm sometimes in the gate area, noodling quitely on my uke while waiting for the plane to load.

Top Bottom