Where to Buy in HI

CaptainSkip

Reaction score
I am headed out on a cruise of Hawaii in April and want to buy a reasonably priced quality KOA instrument. We will be on Oahu and Maui. Any recommendations?

Aloha CaptainSkip,
We need at least your budget and your criteria .....too broad of an area....thanks...

Check out some of these threads:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?948-Hawaii-Ukulele-Shops
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?16519-Ukulele-Stores-USA
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?16235-Uke-shops-in-Maui

For personal recommendations, I think you will find a lot of ukes to try and play at Puapua in the Sheraton, or Bob's Ukulele in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. There is lots of eye candy at the Aloha Ukulele in the Kalia Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village, and there are some more entry level ukes at the Hawaiian Ukulele Company in the Aloha Tower. I think you will find the prices at each of them a little on the high end though (as you are in Waikiki). I don't know if you have a car when you are in Oahu but you might want to try Hawaii Music Supply or visit MGM in Kaneohe for more reasonable prices.

In Maui, if you are docking in Kahului, try Bounty Music. If in Lahaina, try Lahaina Music Supply.

I don't know which cruise you are on, but most of them stop in Kauai as well. Sam at Larry's Music in Kapa'a is great and he has a fantastic selection. Or if you drive out to Waimea Canyon, you can visit Scotty's in Kalaheo.

Have fun. I've done the Princess LA-Hawaii cruise four times and it was great. I'm trying the NCL one this February so I hope it lives up to the Princess one. I presume since you said you are taking it out of Hawaii that you are going on the Pride of America, so you will be able to visit Kauai as well if you are on that ship.

Thank you! This is some great information! I will be cruising on RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas, with seven days in the islands and then five days at sea to relax with my new Uke! Hoping (dreaming) to find a solid KOA Concert/Tenor for a $600 budget. I will not have a car, so I will be going where the excursions take me.

I will not have a car, so I will be going where the excursions take me.
It would probably be worth it to rent a car and go see Musicguymic if you have time on Oahu. If I remember right Hilo Guitars is within walking distance from the harbor in Hilo, but even if you had to get a cab it would definately be a got to go to place.

It would probably be worth it to rent a car and go see Musicguymic if you have time on Oahu. If I remember right Hilo Guitars is within walking distance from the harbor in Hilo, but even if you had to get a cab it would definately be a got to go to place.

If you go to Hilo, stop in and ask for Brian, he will take care of you!

If you don't have a gig bag order one now and bring it with you to save $ on a case until you get home from your travels. Unless you buy something high end then you would want something more durable. I was in Hilo for thanksgiving and got to hit both Music Exchange and Hilo Guitars and Ukes. I got home ended up ordering over the phone from Hilo G&U. Hawaii rocks because of the sales tax rate, I guess compared to where I live.

If you visit the KoAloha factory, you might get lucky and find a nice uke hanging on their "factory seconds" wall. I bought a NEWLY made (with the new bridge) longneck soprano there. All that was wrong with it was a small bubble in the finish the size of a pinhead under the strings near the edge of the soundhole. Came with the usual black nylon covered case plus humidifier and tuner. Cost: $450 plus Hawaii's 4.75% tax.

Thank you! This is some great information! I will be cruising on RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas, with seven days in the islands and then five days at sea to relax with my new Uke! Hoping (dreaming) to find a solid KOA Concert/Tenor for a $600 budget. I will not have a car, so I will be going where the excursions take me.
Aloha CaptainSkip,
If your budget allows,,,get one if not the best...a Kamaka concert...for $200.00 more and you can forget future upgrades...and save even more...I'd pass on the luxeries on board for it!!! without a doubt!!.. MM Stan
Go to either...easy Music center.. or the Kamaka factory and have a tour....call first... guess you gotta break away from the excursions for a half a day..but well worth it...
Good Luck..and Let us know...Happy Strummings....MM Stan
Kamaka Hawaii, Inc...
550 South Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813-5010
Tele- (808) 531-3165
E-mail: mail@kamakahawaii.com

Last edited:
Top Bottom