PEZ Humidifier

pdxuke

Reaction score
We live on a sailboat in the Virgin Islands, where humidity is always high and stable (about 70%). But we spend a good chunk of hurricane season (1-2 months) in New Mexico and our ukes don't like the dry climate so much.

While in New Mexico, we use Pez dispenser humidifiers. They dry out quickly and need to be watered every day or so, but they work great. We just use a regular kitchen sponge.

Can we see some pics of this pez collection? :)

And for me, watering humidifiers so often gets tiresome. So I just prefer the hercos which tend to last longer with the clay. They're relatively inexpensive, and the time I save by not having to find floral foam, modify a pez dispenser, then water it every day makes it worth it to me. Then again, I don't really use humidifiers in Hawaii, and only use them for travel...where I want to worry about watering them even less.

Two of my ukes came with hercos & I used to pour water in them until it was at the top & set a timer for 5 min, I think that is what the instructions said to do, but any way the water level looked like it did not even go down and in the hot climate I live in that wont cut it. Maybe I did something wrong I dont know..

Two of my ukes came with hercos & I used to pour water in them until it was at the top & set a timer for 5 min, I think that is what the instructions said to do, but any way the water level looked like it did not even go down and in the hot climate I live in that wont cut it. Maybe I did something wrong I dont know..

That's what I do too due to the instructions. I think most of the water gets absorbed in the very beginning. It depends if the Hercos have been filled before you got them. But there is a defininte difference in the feeling of the clay from completely dry to saturated.

I'm just using a piece of sponge in a hole-punched ziplock baggie. The flexible baggie allows
me to place it in the sound hole of my guitars and uke. In their respective cases, the humidifiers need attention every week or so; if I leave one out, every 3-4 days.
I'm out on the eastern plains of Colorado and the humidity has averaged around 20% inside the house since November. It rained (a little bit) last night so the hygrometer is reading about 26% today. All my instruments are lams. I'd like to own a nice solid wood instrument or two but I'm afraid of becoming a slave to their care.

I tried the Pez humidifier for a little bit, but it dried out quickly and I was having to soak it every couple days. Plus the floral foam gets a little nasty and breaks down, so you have to replace it often. I bought some Hercos for about $4-$5 each and you need to soak them every two weeks and that works much better for me. It keeps my instruments at 50-55 pct. for two weeks at least.

I tried the Pez humidifier for a little bit, but it dried out quickly and I was having to soak it every couple days. Plus the floral foam gets a little nasty and breaks down, so you have to replace it often. I bought some Hercos for about $4-$5 each and you need to soak them every two weeks and that works much better for me. It keeps my instruments at 50-55 pct. for two weeks at least.

Thanks for the tip, Jeff. I have one herco that MGM included with a deal. I found them at AmericanMusic Supply for $3.50 and ordered a bunch. That should do it without the foam hassle.

I just grabbed my two hercos off my pool table / craft table, they have been there untouched for about a year. I filled them with water & I sat there & watched them gobble the water up, I even had to refill them before the 5 min was up so I guess they do hold water better then I thought. I'm going to put one back in my concert case, but the herco wont fit in my soprano case so I will stick with my home made job in there.

Thanks for the tip, Jeff. I have one herco that MGM included with a deal. I found them at AmericanMusic Supply for $3.50 and ordered a bunch. That should do it without the foam hassle.

I actually kept two Hercs in the case with the Favilla you'll receive in a couple days Thom. They fit well in the foam case for a soprano, not sure in other hard cases.

I get the dollar humidity packs at a cigar store.

The foam breaking down is a good point. I had used floral foam for some projects before, and I do remember it breaking into small wet pieces which was a bit messy to work with, and it got worse after it dries. For the small amount of money saved, I personally still don't think the DIY humidifiers are worth it just because of all the extra time that goes into them. The time spent making and refilling them would probably be better spent clipping coupons to save money towards the Hercos.

I made mine out of an old prescription bottle, it works great. I plug the hole at the bottom, fill it up, then unplug, and squish some of the water out of the sponge so it isn't SO wet.
You can also take a Ziploc bag, fold it up over itself a few times, cut a few slits in the bottom edge while its folded up, then place a single whole sponge inside of it and place it in front of the compartment in your uke case, with this type you should really make sure that the sponge is not drippy wet.
Here is my video for the pill container.

Posted by me in another thread on UU. I like these canisters b/c they are screw top and small. You can tuck a few of them in a case.

I make my own humidifiers using these canisters from Wally World:

http://products.bottlecrew.com/displayProduct.asp?id=56

Just put absorbent material (sponge or green foam) inside, drill about 12 small holes in top.

Hercos. I don't own any homemade instruments either. Where size is an issue, I do believe Herco makes ones for violins but I've never seen them in stores.

Last edited:

Mine says to submerge the clay in water for five then wipe off the excess water. I tested it with an oasis meter and it's been working great for almost two weeks now.

Mine says to submerge the clay in water for five then wipe off the excess water. I tested it with an oasis meter and it's been working great for almost two weeks now.

That's what I do...in a bowl of water...

Top Bottom