Thanks to Ken and Ohana Music!

Dane

Reaction score
My friend and I really enjoyed the NAMM show. We got to see so much stuff and I still feel like I missed a lot.

It was really nice to meet Ken and play Ohanas new products, I especially enjoyed fiddling with the 5string tenor and the resonator.

There are so many nice things to say about everyone that I know I will miss a lot. I really enjoyed meeting Sam from Kamoa, and I was really surprised with their new soprano, and I don't even like sopranos. And I had some good times over at the kanilea booth, speaking with Joe Souza and everyone, as well as playing some very fine instruments including 2 of their 6 string ukes. I met some very nice people at Koolau, Kamaka, Flea Market Music, Kala, etc etc I'm forgetting people I know.

I got to see Hill perform with Bakithi Kumalo (thanks to doug for the spelling) a bit as well as Mr. Aldrine and others

And I also got to meet some of the great people from ukuleleunderground. Such as Doug Frink and his wonderful wife, the fabulous Miss Lori, ricdoug, Matt "thejumpingflea" and I believe I saw Mim in the distance, but I cannot be sure. There are others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

All in all I was very happy to have attended, it was wonderful to meet everyone and play such quality instruments, and I am very pleased to be part of the ukulele community, not a bad egg to be found.

Today I am resting my knee (unicycle accident) and playing some wonderful ukulele music.

P.S. Sorry for mispelled names. I tried my best ;)

Some quick pics! And no, the Kanilea folks were not smiling for a sandwich.
DSCN0087.jpgDSCN0079.jpgDSCN0083.jpgDSCN0081.jpgDSCN0076.jpg

Cool report Dane - I'm so jealous. :)

thanks for the report. I am jealous too
Roxhum

namm2011james_hill.jpg
Thanks Ken and Louis! Here is a photo of James Hill and the uke playing circle at the end of Sunday's show. James Hill is an excellent teacher, and very funny and entertaining. We had a good group out there, in the late afternoon shade. There seems to be a lot of ukulele activity at NAMM, so much that I couldn't get to it all! After about five hours of wandering around, it is hard to take in much more.

I got to meet up with many UUers, which is always fun, spoke with Tony and Elizabeth Coleman (The Mighty Uke creators), finally got to meet Mainland Mike in person with his lovely wife, and had many good uke conversations throughout Hall E.
–Lori

Last edited:
I did not see much cool stuff this week...at least nothing different from last week, but I am totally trying to learn the unicycle

Hall E: Aka the dungeon. It took us a while to find Hall E, and my guitar buddy thought it was funny that "they put all the ukuleles down in the basement" haha. Saw some very cool and innovative stuff in Hall E though, just felt a bit hot and stuffy in there for me.
I did not see much cool stuff this week...at least nothing different from last week, but I am totally trying to learn the unicycle
Do you have one? I have some tips that might help you out if you need, it's a great feeling once you learn how to ride.

Louis and I had a wonderful show. The Ohana booth was busy all week. We are exhausted, but happy with the way things went.

I enjoyed meeting up again with old friends and I particularly loved meeting new friends and putting a face to names. Far too many people to mention. However, thanks to my personal guests: Russ, Bartt, Lori, Dane and Doug as well as the people they came with.

Hall E: Aka the dungeon. It took us a while to find Hall E, and my guitar buddy thought it was funny that "they put all the ukuleles down in the basement" haha.

We actually choose to be in Hall E, Dane. Weird, I know, but it is almost peaceful down there with only a 50dB ambient noise level (it's all those bass players).

We actually choose to be in Hall E, Dane. Weird, I know, but it is almost peaceful down there with only a 50dB ambient noise level (it's all those bass players).

Oh no I loved that the uke stuff was downstairs. It was SO loud upstairs. The bass guitars seemed fine for the most part, it was a little sad though that Kanilea was right next to a very busy bass guitar booth. Was hard to hear the instruments

Dane, nice write-up and photos, take care of that knee. It was great meeting you (my wife just adores you), hope to see you again some time.

And Ken, thank you so much for this incredible opportunity! An amazing experience. Thanks,

Doug

Top Bottom