Ukeeku NAMM 2011 Coverage

Great report - and of all the bamboo I've seen, the Pono is the first one that is eye-catching. The others seem too blase' - kind of like taupe paint.

fantastic overview Ukeeku. Awesome job mate! I agree with Gmoney on the bamboo Pono. Also like the look of the Magic Fluke banjo ukes...could you post some pics of the new flea and fluke designs please Tim?

Nice writeup. I do quite like the solid U-Bass. I agree that the acoustic one never made much sense, since you could barely hear it acoustically, and amplified, the difference is so subtle between the acoustic bodied and the solid bodied basses. I think that solid U-Bass will have a nice niche market for it, and I'd probably prefer it to my full sized P-bass.

Great job Ukeeku. Sounds like the three of you had quite a time.

Do you have any pics of the new Fluke/Flea designs that you spoke of?

Thanks a lot for the posts. I've been trying to find out more about those Kamoa fiberglass and carbon fiber cases but I haven't been able to see what they look like on the inside. Did you get a chance to see inside of them? If so, can you tell me how the storage capacity was? I'm also interested in whether they have shoulder straps as well. Also, did they seem pretty solid to you?

I was considering ordering a Calton but to be honest, I still haven't gotten a response from Calton from my inquiry and I've heard a lot of horror stories about their service (though the product is quite good). And these Kamoa ones are less than half the cost, so I'm quite intrigued. It would be a really nice lighter option to my Ameritage case.

I can't tell the interior storage from the UU video and the Kamoa website only has the exterior picture as well. I have searched all over the internet to try to figure out what manufacturer they are, and I'm thinking they might be by Nanjing Aileen. Their carbon fiber looks a lot like the Kamoa one. http://www.a-violin.com/product/109-carbon-fiber-guitar-case--ccg090c-9486/

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for your posts/blog entry on NAMM -- for those of us who wish we could have been there.

Thanks a lot for the posts. I've been trying to find out more about those Kamoa fiberglass and carbon fiber cases but I haven't been able to see what they look like on the inside. Did you get a chance to see inside of them? If so, can you tell me how the storage capacity was? I'm also interested in whether they have shoulder straps as well. Also, did they seem pretty solid to you?

I was considering ordering a Calton but to be honest, I still haven't gotten a response from Calton from my inquiry and I've heard a lot of horror stories about their service (though the product is quite good). And these Kamoa ones are less than half the cost, so I'm quite intrigued. It would be a really nice lighter option to my Ameritage case.

I can't tell the interior storage from the UU video and the Kamoa website only has the exterior picture as well. I have searched all over the internet to try to figure out what manufacturer they are, and I'm thinking they might be by Nanjing Aileen. Their carbon fiber looks a lot like the Kamoa one. http://www.a-violin.com/product/109-carbon-fiber-guitar-case--ccg090c-9486/

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for your posts/blog entry on NAMM -- for those of us who wish we could have been there.

It is just like all other cases where there is a door under the neck. there is a pretty good amount of foam all around the ukulele when it is in there. seem really nice

Great report - and of all the bamboo I've seen, the Pono is the first one that is eye-catching. The others seem too blase' - kind of like taupe paint.

I do like the look of the Tall Grass ukes. I am hoping to see one in person sometime. I am also hoping to see a review of them somewhere.

I do like the look of the Tall Grass ukes. I am hoping to see one in person sometime. I am also hoping to see a review of them somewhere.

Stay tuned, I will have one in the next month or so. Both models

My pick of the bunch

Hiya,

Great overview of a few of the vids I have seen on UU...

My pick of the bunch...maybe a mainland amongst the banjo ukes and as I don't have a soprano as I mostly play tenor, a nice little kala psychedelic uke may do the trick...what do you guys think as the pick of the crop?

Chris

Man oh man - that Eleuke Peanut at the $100 price mark has to be a killer deal. Thanks for the coverage and the reviews you are doing. I've toyed with the idea of building my own RISA ukestick clone, but at the price point I couldn't even buy the hardware.

Last edited:
Hiya,

Great overview of a few of the vids I have seen on UU...

My pick of the bunch...maybe a mainland amongst the banjo ukes and as I don't have a soprano as I mostly play tenor, a nice little kala psychedelic uke may do the trick...what do you guys think as the pick of the crop?

Chris

My best of show (in the $300 range) would have to be the mango Big Island ukuleles.
namm2011-bigisland-mango.gif

The tenor will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.

Man oh man - that Eleuke Peanut at the $100 price mark has to be a killer deal. Thanks for the coverage and the reviews you are doing. I've toyed with the idea of building my own RISA ukestick clone, but at the price point I couldn't even buy the hardware.
I'm glad you're excited. I'm pretty excited about the peanut too, its going to be a great little uke and with all the same guts of its bigger brothers too!
Eleuke Peanut...I hope to review one when they come to market.
I would love to have you review it! If for some reason I lose my mind on the day that the shipment comes and we don't send one to you for a review, please remind me and we'll get you one.

Heye is that a mainland tenor banjolele...didn't know they were doing them in my size...excited :p

Chris

Already chomping at the bit for the Eleuke Peanut!

Besides Ampuplugnplay, any other small amp-like attachment suitable for the Peanut
or any electric uke? For Travel purposes.

Thanks,

Top Bottom