5 String Tenor Uke from Ohana!

One of the things that has attracted me to the uke is the simplicity compared to the guitar. From my perspective take that simplicity away and part of the attractiveness is missing. But if you like it go for it.

Any of our forum dealers have these?
There is no dealer in my town and I have been waiting for one of these since last summer.

So I gather this 5 string ukulele has a double G string, one re-entrant high G and one low G?

If would you strum them together or remove a high or a low as needed.

John

There has been a tremendous amount of interest in this ukulele (Ohana TK-35G-5). They have just arrived. The following stores have them.

Music Works in El Cerrito have one in stock.

Uke Republic in Georgia have them on order and will have them in stock very soon.

I shall be doing a YT review of this production model very soon.

So I gather this 5 string ukulele has a double G string, one re-entrant high G and one low G?

If would you strum them together or remove a high or a low as needed.

John

Yes, a low and a high G. Removing strings is not a very cost-effective option though. It is meant to be a 5 string. Check out my YT review of the prototype.

Hi Ken
I know you and Louis visited McCabe's in Santa Monica. I had made a request for this model at their store a month or so ago. Do you know if they will carry it? I also requested this model at The Guitar Merchant in Canoga Park. Don't know if the owner followed up on it though. I always walk away wondering if a distributor is going to order when I make my request. They never seem to write it down while I'm there, don't take my phone number or anything, so I end up with no confidence that anything will happen. When do you think they will be available in my area (Los Angeles/ SoCal)?

–Lori

I've been waiting to get my hands on one of these & I'm only realizing now that I could have got one 6 months ago!

I have a bunch of ukes for sale in the market place. Somebody buy them so I can pick up a 5 string!

Out of curiosity which comes first, the high g or the low G?

S.

Last edited:
Seems like the bastard child of a uke and a guitar. Why not just go for the guitarlele and be done with it?

Out of curiosity which comes first, the high g or the low G?

S.
The high G is on the outside edge. I find if you want to isolate a string you can pluck down with your thumb for the high G and pluck up with my index finger for a low G note.
Seems like the bastard child of a uke and a guitar. Why not just go for the guitarlele and be done with it?
Hi Ian!–It is very different playing this 5-string versus my guitarlele. The Ohana 35-G 5 is more uke-like in playing style, and it adds a very pleasant sparkle to the strums. My guitarlele, with it's 6 widely spaced strings is really more like a guitar, rather than a uke with extra strings. Those extra strings take some getting used to.

–Lori

Top Bottom