PDA

View Full Version : Messing with my head @ 4 weeks

mousenut
01-18-2011, 05:03 AM
I'm 4 weeks into torturing my uke now daily (not sure if it qualifies as playing yet). I was in my kitchen with a re-run of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire on one of my TV's and really not paying attention to the song I was butchering because I was answering a question about Bill Gates and pancake flipping and my wife walks in and asked when I learned to play not looking at what I was doing. She said I was starting to sound like I was playing music for a change.

As soon as I looked down I started screwing up again.

Subconsciously, I can play. Paying attention, I stink.

What the heck? Is that normal?

Tantal
01-18-2011, 06:35 AM
This is from a noob, but I have found that if you "go with the flow" when you play, you do much better. It is almost as if you let your subconscious take over and just nudge it in the right notes and chords. If I think to hard about the technique of what I am trying to play, it comes out horrible.

swervy jervy
01-18-2011, 06:50 AM
Hint: Try the peyote for diminished chords.

Helms
01-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Well - I kinda know what you mean.
Everytime I play for myself: No problem at all
When I play for others I keep thinking 'What to play next? Where do I move my hand? What string to pick' etc. And then I forget and mess it all up.

johntz
01-18-2011, 10:21 AM
This happens to me all the time. I generally do ok till I really want to play the song perfectly and focus, then I screw it all up till the next day. It's like golf, for me, some days I can't miss other days I just pack up my bag after the third hole because I know how the rest of the game is going to go. Keep practicing, it takes time.

Bigmamma
01-18-2011, 10:23 AM
I find it easier to not concentrate, if that makes any sense lol. If I ignore what my right hand it doing completely it sounds better than if I am thinking about it!

mousenut
01-18-2011, 11:22 AM
If I get hypnotized maybe I can record an album (that's an .mp3 collection stored under the same graphic to all you kids)