Aquila "Bionyon" Trial

lkdumas

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Got a set of the new, Bionyon strings by Aquila for my Kanilea tenor. Very sweet, especially the 3/C, which sounds much brighter than the typical Aquila C, which has always sounded a little "dull" to me. Have a Low G set on backorder at Elderly, which should be available around the end of the month.

I'm seeing mixed results for the bionylon strings. I've tried them on two instruments so far, a 1940-ish Martin T-1, and a new Blackbird. Previously, both instruments had nylgut strings.

On both instruments, the strings sounded pretty nice at first, a somewhat broader tone. However, on the Blackbird, after a week of settling, they have a somewhat tinny tone; I'm not sure why that happened. On the Martin, they sounded good, but the instrument with me at the moment, so I don't know if its tone has changed.

I like the feel of the strings a lot; my fingers slide on them really well. On the other hand, my wife mostly plays the Blackbird, and she thinks they're too slippery. (As in: "Josh, please put nylguts back on this.")

I think the verdict is still out.

Top Bottom