Help with Uke selection

boonahnews

Reaction score
I know this has been done many times before but maybe not with these Ukes. My problem is where i live in Australia I have no opportunity to listen to them. These are all around the $300 which is my budget.
1. Mele concert solid mahogany
2. Mele concert pineapple solid mahogany (both Meles are hand made)
3. Kala concert solid acacia
4. Lanikai concert solid Koa top with laminated sides.
Will be mainly strumming until I can learn to do a bit of finger picking.
Also would like to set it up Low G with all flouro strings (not wound)
Any feedback will be greatly appreciate.
Cheers Mike

I haven't had experience with any of thsoe, but I do like the Koa Pili Koko tenor which is made of solid acacia and is in the $250 range. And I love the way it sounds with a low G--almost as good as an $800 Kanilea soundmonster. The only thing is that you'll probably need to do your own setup on the KPK unless MGM on eBay happens to be a dealer.

Hope you find the instrument you're looking for, and welcome to UU!

I've wondered about that Lanikai, I've looked at the NK-C model. It looks nice, but I haven't found any reviews for it. I wont "deserve" a nice one like that for awhile, but I've wondered if anyone has any experience with it?

Aloha boonahnews,
I too have a KPK Deluxe Tenor and love everything about it. It has good looks and the sound it produces is warm and matches my voice and style of singing. Good value for the price.....my opinion! Good hunting..............BO............

Have you checked out the NAMM show coverage? There are some videos of the newer models coming out from many of the top uke companies. Its a good time to be a uke player as there are a lot of great ukes under $300 now.

http://ukuleleunderground.com/namm

One of the Mele's - I owned the concert pineapple - sold it to finance my KoAloha. But it is a SWEET uke & the Mele's are handmade instead of factory made like the Kala or Lanakai. I also owned a concert Kala as my first uke some 5 months ago, but the Mele was a step up as is the KoAloha or Kamaka that another person mentioned.

Mele makes great instruments which are well made, well supported, & value beyond the others. IMNSHO!

Top Bottom