memorizing the fret board

sailboats

Reaction score
Two things have helped me memorize the Uke fret board! And the first one is power chords! (side note – power chords are the 1st and 5th notes of a scale. Ex. C power chord is CG and can work out to 0033(GCGC))
Why is this helpful? Simple there is a connection between the 4th & 3rd strings to the 2nd & 1st strings. If 0033 is GCGC then 1144 are G#C# G#C# and 2255 is ADAD.

adad.JPG

You can follow this pattern up the fret board! By memorizing the 4th & 3rd strings I have in effect memorized the 1st and 2nd!

The second thing that has helped me is the few spaces on the fret board where there are no sharps or flats.
0 – GCEA
5- CFAD
7- DGBE
12- GCEA

For those just starting out you may have heard of the tuning ADF#B. This happens to be what you would get if you bar GCEA at the second fret. So knowing that had made me easily also remember

2 – ADF#B
scale.JPG

Cool thanks for the tips. I made a fretboard chart as well which I have pinned on my wall next to where I play and taped on the back of my re-entrant uke. Another good way to memorize, is you take your chords and find where the chords note appears, and that's pretty easy to memorize. So for example a C chord, well you only press on the 3rd fret, and thats a C note, so easy to remember that a string 3rd fret is C

Top Bottom