Dessicant in Ukulele

Paul Cote

Reaction score
Hi, I picked up a Hamano Soprano Ukulele from Amazon and it just arrived. (funny that I bought it and they jumped the price up 74 bucks immediately after--guess I lucked out or hope I did) When I unpacked it, it sounded like it had something in it and it had two dessicant packs in it. With all the talk of Humidifiers, I am curious why they would put those dessicant packs in it? Is it an alternative to keep a ukulele super dry?

My guess would be it's just for shipping. Almost everything these days gets shipped with one of those packets. Maybe in the winter there's some concern that the package would be spending time in a wet environment (like the back of a delivery truck).

well someone went through a lot of effort to put them inside the body of the ukulele which was in a styrofoam bag in a plastic bag in a box then.

Second guess, although I know nothing about the brand of ukulele you bought -- the ukulele was made in a very humid part of the world, probably southeast Asia, and because these ukes are likely to be shipped to places with significantly lower humidity, the manufacturor adds the packets to lower the moisture in these ukuleles while they're in the very humid place so that the ukuleles won't suffer from humidity-change shock when they arrive at their destinations.

Ah yes, I love when you luck out on Amazon deals. One time, I bought a display sword for $25. Very nice sword, free shipping. But it came in a huge box: 3x the size of the actual sword packaging: probably about 3'x3'x9" via FedEx second day air. I am completely sure that the shipping cost that company more than what I paid for the sword. The next day, the price went way up and added shipping.

As for the packets, I think MDS725's hypothesis is probably correct.

Top Bottom