tuning options for baritone

NukeDOC

Retired Mod
Reaction score
ok so my baritone is basically there purely for experimentation. anything that i have installed onto my tenor ukes, i did with this first. and for the longest time now, ive had it tuned to gCEA.

now that i have three tenors, there is no need for this one to stay tuned that way, so i re-tuned it to the normal DGBE baritone tuning. i used a combination of string that i had lying around, including a wound guitar string that i used for the low D.

so what do you guys think of about tuning it to re-entry dGBE? is this ever done? has anyone here done it? well when i get up i guess im going to give it a shot.

i just never liked how wound strings sound on ukuleles. just seems to always be overpowering, so im hoping the hi D configuration will mellow that out.

yep. Some jazz ukulele players tune baritones and tenors like that. (Lyle Ritz, Benny Chong, Byron Yasui)

It definitely makes for a mellower tone with nice opportunity for close interval voicings. I think the std 7th/9th chords sound a bit sweeter because of the close intervals in the midrange around that reentrant d (as opposed to the standard reentrant g)

I have a 5 string baritone tuned dGCEA right now. I like it

i always wanted the same baritone as guting on some of his vids.. but they dont ship to Australia! :(

DFAD is the tuning I use. It is open D minor that I use for slide and for playing pentatonics. Since strumming isn't my priority I've always thought that a re-entrant D string is a waste. It is basically just the E string and redundant. May as well not even have it. Of course, this is predicated on my style of playing. If you want to do some campanella arrangements or strum with a high 4th string, it might be useful.

I wouldn't mind a baritone ukulele tuned to my usual D-Bb-C-F but down an octave.

Too many to name. With bog-standard strings, you can tune tune anything from B to E on the 4th string, and probably beyond that without the tension getting too crazy. Reentrant strings are available for both C and G tuning, any linear tuning can be made into an open tuning by dropping the first string (DGBD) or modal (DGAD), as well as Cuatro tuning (reentrant on the 1st string rather than the 4th . . )

I keep a baritone in Low G to play Renaissance guitar repertoire, because the scale lengths match.

Tuning-wise, it’s pretty much the most versatile Uke out there

I love dropped C, as in CGBE. Makes really lush chords.

Examples (the "0" in 1220 is the string closest to the floor):
A 1220 - D 2232 - E 4100 (A-D-E)
C 0010 - F 0211 - G 2003 (C-F-G)
B 3402 or 3442 (for E-A-B)
Bb 2331 (for F-Bb-C)

From above is: D-G-A, E-A-B, G-C-D

Cm 0543
Dm 2231
Em 4000
Fm 0111
Gm 2333
Am 0210
Bbm 1321
Bm 2402

C7 0310
D7 2212
E7 2100
F7 3211
G7 2001
A7 1020
Bb7 2131
B7 3202

Also works well as cGBE on a tenor.

If anyone is interested, I made a .xls chord chart (Maj, Dom7, min, min7, Maj7, Dim7... ) for this tuning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom