singing lessons

raecarter

Reaction score
I know slightly off topic but wanted some advice. I have been told i have a good tone to my voice but do not know how to use it effectively. I am not blessed with lots of money so cannot afford singing lessons. How can I improve myself? any advice would be brilliant thank you

Try recording yourself and listening often.

If you hold a note, make it a vowel and try not to close it off until the end.
(example: 'eeeeend' vs 'ennnnnnd')

join your church choir. Oftentimes the choir director has had training that
they can pass along to your benefit.

And, like with the ukulele, practice - sing, sing, sing.

Keep uke'in',

Well I took my first singing lesson last night, and not much progress was made, but the guy ran through the piano keyboard and determined I am three notes off 2 octaves and that i can hear the notes and sing those well. I am getting a cd off him next week as he hadnt a copy with him and that has practice stuff for home. Also have some doh re me practicing to do next time I have a lesson. Knowing from a professional has made me a bit more confident that I can sing better and I'll continue for a while. I'd be happy to let you in on what I am doing as it happens, but I would suggest getting a couple of lessons just so that someone can appraise your range and ability to hit the right notes. It's costing me $27 for an half hour, is this expensive?? Seems ok to me, it costs me a lot more to go to uke lessons by the time I add travel and drink expenses.

I've to take my ukulele next time so we can work on "performance" and I also requested we do some mic work so that I am comfortable with that, cos it scarred the bejezus out of me the first and last time I did an open mic........

Cheers

Recording, listening, correcting, playing along with a piano or another instrument can help you stay on key. As far as actual singing technique, you can search the net, although I imagine technique is something thats rather hard to teach with words on a page, especially with vocals. I'm not a very good singer, but I enjoy it a lot, so I just sing often and record myself when I can. Practice practice practice :D

Check out Judy Rodman & her "Power, Path & Performance" method of vocal training. Judy has trained MANY of the stars that have come through Nashville as well as written, recorded, & produced many #1 hits. We (my family) had the opportunity through community theatre to meet Judy & learn about her technique. My wife taught piano & voice & w/Judy's support, used Judy's methods w/her own students. My son composed & recorded a couple of songs w/Judy for a movie sountrack & my daughter took formal lessons at her home in Nashville.

http://judyrodman.com/power-path-performance.htm

I know you said that you "weren't blessed with lots of money", but even her $99 set of CD's might be considered cheap if by using them you were able to expand your range & improve your already good voice. She also has a single CD for $19 which might be enough to increase your confidence.

My daughter's considerable talent was improved markedly under Judy's tutelage & she has had several "leading lady" roles in musical theatre. She is no longer doing musical theatre, but her vocal "chops" are still incredible to all who hear her sing.

Recording your own voice, singing in a choir, & practicing are all great, but if you are "doing it wrong" when it comes to singing (breath, posture, etc.) you won't get as good or as comfortable as you could.

[I am not Judy's agent, manager, financier, etc. - I just know that she KNOWS what makes vocals SING!]

I take voice lessons at my local community college. Its $82 for the 1 credit hour plus a $100 dollar fee. That gets you one half-hour lesson a week for 16 weeks. (not too shabby)
Taking voice lessons is seriously one of the best things I've ever done. I love to sing so it's something I will use til the day I die.

Some tips:

1) When the pitch of the note goes up, your throat actually goes down to produce that pitch. It's kind of opposite of how you would expect. FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE DON't FIGHT IT.
2) Epand your ribs and pecs when you sing. It will give you more support and strength.
3) Get a teacher :p There is so much to learn! It's easy to think singing only has to do with your throat, but it's actually a whole body activity!

Last edited:
Until you figure out how much money and where you want to spend it, I would tell you to just keep singing. The more you do it, the more you will learn about yourself as a singer and the more confident you will become. I always thought I was a terrible singer (I still kinda am), but I have found a place that works for me, and I sound a lot better than I used to. You need to find your voice, and that takes time and a lot of practice. Just my thoughts.

Thank you everyone for your guidance I've done some deal making with a guy I know who is building a recording studio. If.I help paint his studio when its finished he will sort me out some lessons at an introduction level which will help.

I wouldn't trust any "Learn to sing online!" methods. It'll cost you more than getting actual voice lessons from someone who is in the room with you and can adjust to your needs. And it will hurt your vocal chords when you do it wrong, and no one is there to correct you.

The basic idea is to learn how to breathe all the way down from your legs, and understand that there is a connection from what your body does down there, all the way up and out. Basically, you want the upper body to stay relaxed, and you want the lower part to support the air coming out in a steady stream. Keep that throat relaxed, and belt it out through your legs.

That's how the first lessons go, at any rate. You work out the language that works for you and the teacher, but then as time goes on your think more about how the air pushed out, voice placement, what the throat is doing and all that.

Top Bottom