Worth Strings?

CurtainGuy

Reaction score
Hey guys.. so I recently got a solid-mahogany Bushman Jenny Tenor... it came with Aquila strings, which sound nice, but I think I want something a little clearer and brighter. I hear Worth clear strings will do the trick..? Just wanted to know what you all thought.

A few more questions- if I did get Worth strings, aren't there different types.. like different tensions, wound C string, etc.. which should I get? Aaaand.. where on earth can I buy them haha

Yes. . yes, no, depends, MGM
Actually, the Ko'olau Gold's low-G string set that came with my Pono Tenor included a wound C and G. I didn't know at the time that a wound C was unusual but anyway, they do exist. Incidentally, I didn't really care for them.

OTOH the low-G clear Worths I replaced them with do sound a little brighter, but I'm not happy with the slack tension of the unwound low G. Maybe it's just something to get used to but a wound low-G seems to offer more tension and a better feel (to me).

I use the Worth Brown Tenor high g set. For clarity and sweetness of tone, I've found no better strings...but I haven't tried the Worth Clears yet! ;)

Actually, the Ko'olau Gold's low-G string set that came with my Pono Tenor included a wound C and G. I didn't know at the time that a wound C was unusual but anyway, they do exist.

Worth doesn't make wound C's - as stated, they don't even do wound g's.

I am using worth clears on my Kala spruce top and they sound bright and crisp with good sustain. I came with Aquilas and I was not pleased with them. Good discovery.

Thanks for the info guys! I ordered some Worth Clear Nylon strings from MGM and they're on their way... I just realized now though.. I really hope they're not a low G set. Didn't say low G anywhere when I bought it but then again it didn't say high G either.

I am using worth clears on my Kala spruce top and they sound bright and crisp with good sustain. I came with Aquilas and I was not pleased with them. Good discovery.

ok cool, now I know what strings to get cause I just ordered a new kala ka-st of mgm:nana:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys! I ordered some Worth Clear Nylon strings from MGM and they're on their way... I just realized now though.. I really hope they're not a low G set. Didn't say low G anywhere when I bought it but then again it didn't say high G either.

If it doesn't specifically say "low G" then they should be standard...which is always high G. I have bought strings from MGM with no indication of Low G and they are always just standard sets.

I am still new to the Uke but I think I am starting to get the hint that strings make a difference.

The Kala I have came with GHS strings. I hvae not seen anyone mention those. I have thought the Uke does not soudn very bright?, crisp?, strong?, loud? .... hmmm.. well it does not sound as good when I play on the higher frets. I think I should try some Worth strings at some point.

I am still new to the Uke but I think I am starting to get the hint that strings make a difference.

The Kala I have came with GHS strings. I hvae not seen anyone mention those. I have thought the Uke does not soudn very bright?, crisp?, strong?, loud? .... hmmm.. well it does not sound as good when I play on the higher frets. I think I should try some Worth strings at some point.

GHS's are what most makers seem to put on ukes, because they're the cheapest.

GHS pros:
They're wicked cheap, they're fairly thick, and they're tough.

GHS cons:
They don't sound too good.

It's funny - I rmember when Aquila's were all the rage and everyone put Aquila's on everything and noted how much better the sound on their uke was.

Now flourocarbon strings are IT, and folks are throwing out the Aquila's and saying how better their ukes sound with their new Worth's, Fremont's, or Koaloha's.

I wonder what the next string fad will be, because there surely will be one!!!

In any case, I've tried 3 brands of flourocarbon strings, and have decided Aquila's are for me. But it's fun to try the different kinds anyway. I have a Larrivee mahogany concert uke, and it sounded like an entirely different instrument when the Aquila's were switched out for Worth Brown's. The Larrivee's going back to Aquila's which I think bring out the best in this ukulele. But I'll bet someone else thinks that the Worth's really bring out the Larrivee's best qualities. And you know, we're all right!

You know what's kind of funny.. now that the Worths are on their way.. the Aquilas are really growing on me haha. I'm just really liking the string's thickness and tension, etc.. Hopefully I'll still like the Worths. I think I will.

So.. how would you guys describe the difference between GHS Strings, Aquilas, and Worths? I'm just curious because I have experience with the first two and I'd like to know how Worths compare to them.

I think it's interesting how many people say they like the Aquilas for their thickness. Personally, the thinness of the Worths is one of the reasons I prefer THEM.

Maybe it has something to do with the size of uke you prefer to play-- I'm a soprano player, if I have my druthers. Maybe the tenor players prefer thick strings 'cause they have more room on the neck?

ok cool, now I know what strings to get cause I just ordered a new kala ka-st of mgm:nana:

Just for conversation, how do you know the Worth's are for you if 1) you don't have the instrument, 2) you don't have the strings?

So.. how would you guys describe the difference between GHS Strings, Aquilas, and Worths?

GHS's are consistent, and can build callus quickly. Aquila have a better feel, and are louder. Worths are thinner, clearer, tonally more complex and sometimes tinny. Of course, all this depends on the instrument, and the player. I've used all three (and used to string with Aquila exclusively), I currently use none of them (even though I'm very fond of the Okami's, I've never grown towards Worth).

Last edited:
GHS's are consistent, and can build callus quickly. Aquila have a better feel, and are louder. Worths are thinner, clearer, tonally more complex and sometimes tinny. Of course, all this depends on the instrument, and the player. I've used all three (and used to string with Aquila exclusively), I currently use none of them (even though I'm very fond of the Okami's, I've never grown towards Worth).

Would you say the sound of the GHS strings are closer to worths or aquilas?

Would you say the sound of the GHS strings are closer to worths or aquilas?

Personally, I'd say they're closer to worthless.

Technically, they're not like either, since they're standard nylon, where Aquilas are nylgut and Worths are fluorocarbon.

I guess they're closer to Aquilas, because they've got similar thicknesses, but that's like saying a high-quality handbell is more like a cowbell covered in concrete than it is like a cymbal.

And you asked about sound. Sound-wise, GHS's, to my ears, sound dead and dull. Neither Aquilas nor Worths sound dead and dull.

Have you ever used Martins? They're like thicker Martins.

GHS's are consistent, and can build callus quickly.

Both qualities that could just as well be ascribed to a hand tool.

Consistency isn't good when it's consistently bad.

I know it's all a matter of taste, and YMMV, etc., but having heard GHS's on four or five ukes, I've yet to hear one that seriously sounds better with them.

Top Bottom