"Required" Viewing List?

aljanny

Reaction score
So, today I was in Art History thinking on how past art is constantly influencing present artists, and how at art school it is encouraged (read: required) that one seeks out a vast array of other previous/contemporary artists to broaden the mental scope.
Of course, my ukulele ever on my mind, I got to thinking about how ukuleleists should have recommended listening/viewing, too, even if it's a different 'style' than one normally plays/listens to.

So, who do you guys think would be the influential ukuleleists past and present who would be taught about in a comprehensive 'Ukuleleist History' class, if there was such a thing? Who would be recommended to aspiring ukuleleists as 'required viewing'?

Just curious to see peoples' answers =)

to start the list Roy Smeck, Cliff Edwards, George Harrison, unfortunately Tiny Tim. Jake and James. Aldrine makes my list. :)

A ukulele history class would not be complete without a mention of May Singhi Breen, although she'd probably be more required reading than listening - I have yet to find any recordings of her actually playing. She was an early advocate of the ukulele as a "real" instrument and of ukulele soloing.

Cliff Edwards (Ukulele Ike), George Formby, Bill Tapia, Lyle Ritz, Ian Whitcomb, John King, Jake Shimabukuro, Bruddah Iz, Lil' Rev...

Required Viewing

I would definitely vote for Ohta-san, Lyle Ritz, and for learning how to accompany and how to play jazz, Glen Rose.

Any ukulele player is, first and foremost, a musician. As such, the aspiring ukuleleist would do well to seek out a wide variety of good music, whether it had anything to do with the ukulele or not. (Heck, even bad music contains lessons for the attentive learner!)

After all, an aspiring visual artist might specialize in modern abstract art, but they're still going to want to have deep knowledge of other forms of art from various eras too.

So yeah, listen to Smeck and Ohta San and Jake and all that. But don't neglect Glenn Gould, Miles Davis, Joshua Bell, Ella Fitzgerald, Buddy Rich, Chris Thile, Django Rhinehardt, Frank Sinatra, and so on.

JJ

Wow!! I always suspected, but never knew for sure! Thanks, Dr. O'Cutty!!

Yes......Thanks to Dr. O'cutty and Jeremiah Bond for these astonishing implications. They will forever change the way people think about ukulele history.

Here's some more current videos that I personally love featuring some prominent ukulele playing

Beirut - Elephant Gun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWSz_PAfgNc

Beirut - The Penalty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3qQciNuOzU

Noah and The Whale - Five Years Time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8YCSJpF4g4

these are excellent examples of good newer music involving the beloved uke.
i'm a big beirut fan and it's nice to see music worthy of keeping company with the greats. great examples of the uke in good music now.
i like that alot of (the good) newer music seems bored by fuzzed out electric guitar and have turned back to violin, brass, uke etc...
happy days. now please stop playing it in commercials and all will be fine.:eek:

Whilst not personally a fan,you would HAVE
to Include George Formby in that list!

Top Bottom