Another Beginner asking for help! Please do!

MakSmooth

Reaction score
Hey all! I was wondering if you all could help me on getting my first uke. My price range is up to $150. Preferably Concert, laminated cuz I hear it's cheaper and I'm not too worried about the humidity here cuz I live in San Diego =P I was wondering what you guys had in mind.

I'm not sure if both the ukulele and the strings matter or maybe more on just the strings (I'm a big noob) but I was thinking of either one of the two.

I already have the Kala KA-C w/ aquilas
http://cgi.ebay.com/KALA-KA-C-CONCE...ltDomain_0&hash=item56421a7f3e#ht_2045wt_1139

Or ...

The Makala MK-C w/ aquilas
http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKALA-CONCERT-...ltDomain_0&hash=item3a627f2ef1#ht_2729wt_1139

My only concern is.. "you get what you pay for" anyone care to tell me what the difference is between the two?
So if you guys have any other suggestions don't hesitate to let me know! I would like to hear from this community! thanks in advanced!

Last edited:
I also say get the kala CEM
you get a case and tuner with it and aquila strings plus a pro set up! What's not to like?

oh, and he has a video for you to watch so you can hear how it sounds. plug in your headphones and give it a listen.

Last edited:
If it were me, I would go for something with a solid spruce top. The Kala SC and Lanikai S-C come to mind. They are both in your price range. I've been the all laminate route, and for an inexpensive ukulele that still sounds great, nothing beats a solid topped uke. I started with an all laminate Kala tenor and now have a solid spruce topped one that cost about the same. The difference in the sound and projection of the two is like night and day to my ears.

Last edited:
I should say that I also went the solid top route when I bought my tenor. But the laminate flamed mahogany was a close second.

There is often a lot of debate about solid vs laminate top, and Kiwaya even makes some laminates that sound as good, but they are more expensive than your price range. Laminates are easier to care for. You might peruse this thread to see what the debate is all about

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?9989-Laminate-vs-Solid-Wood

Before I made up my mind in the debate, I tested every uke I could get my hands on in the SEUkers meetings, and at SamAsh. That included everything from cheap souveneer ukes to Koaloa Sceptres. Its difficult for me to tell exactly what a uke sounds like to the audience when I am just playing it, because the sound hole is pointed away from me. Therefore to test the sound, I either like to record the ukes playing the same song (not usually possible in a store), or to do an A-B test by having someone hold the two ukes by the neck in front of me and then strumming them. If you get a chance to do that in a store, you may be surprised at how weak some pretty ukes sound.

OK. I am coming down off the soap box now lol.

Last edited:
Great advice. And for folks like me who don't have a decent uke store anywhere nearby. Listening to videos like MGM's with headphones on is real helpfull.

Forgive my naivety, but isn't Makala the cheaper version of the Kala? That flamed mahogany Kala is beautiful, I wonder what it sounds like? If I didn't already have a concert uke that I really like...

Forgive my naivety, but isn't Makala the cheaper version of the Kala? That flamed mahogany Kala is beautiful, I wonder what it sounds like? If I didn't already have a concert uke that I really like...

Yes the Makala is a lower cost Kala line. Most ukes from name brand makers sound good. Its just that as you move up into solid tops and all solid ukes they usually start sounding better, but they also cost more. The better sound isn't like 2x better - its more subtle than that. after a certain point you start paying for bling and better workmanship. In the end, I think you get what you can afford and what makes you happy. Only you can decide if the better sound is worth the money, or even if you can hear the difference. You can still dream of better things no matter what you can afford at the moment. Its all good. My little Makala Dolphin sounds good, just not as good as my Ohana solid mahogany soprano. If my uke budget only supported the Dolphin, I could still be happy playing it, but if I had more disposable income I would own a Koaloha tenor, a Pete Howlett, a Ken Simms soprano, a vintage Martin, and of course a Moore Bettah, and ......

Last edited:
That flamed mahogany Kala is beautiful, I wonder what it sounds like? If I didn't already have a concert uke that I really like...

It sounds really good and very loud. I have Aquilas on and it's a little too bright sounding for my taste. I'll probably try Worth clears next time. It's a good looking uke and priced well. I bought the KA-T first before I traded it for the TEM after one week.

I also say get the kala CEM
you get a case and tuner with it and aquila strings plus a pro set up! What's not to like?

oh, and he has a video for you to watch so you can hear how it sounds. plug in your headphones and give it a listen.

That's mine!!

Thanks for the feedback yall, i think i might just go for the ka-cem. I'm still a beginner though, I just know basic chord progressions cuz I play piano as well so hopefully picking up the uke would be the same thing hehe XD.

I'll do a bit more shopping around for maybe a cheaper price though any suggestions other than MGM? I know that guy gives aquilas and a case and all that jazz which would be worth it honestly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback yall, i think i might just go for the ka-cem. I'm still a beginner though, I just know basic chord progressions cuz I play piano as well so hopefully picking up the uke would be the same thing hehe XD.

I'll do a bit more shopping around for maybe a cheaper price though any suggestions other than MGM? I know that guy gives aquilas and a case and all that jazz which would be worth it honestly.

I've never bought from MGM and I know you may pay a little more if you get your uke from him. However, there's an overwhelming positive feedback about MGM's service in this forum because he takes the time making sure your uke is "good to go." I'd say just buy from him and be done with it. The last thing a beginner need is a ukulele that's buzzing and requires proper set up. You pay a little extra for the peace of mind.

I've never bought from MGM and I know you may pay a little more if you get your uke from him. However, there's an overwhelming positive feedback about MGM's service in this forum because he takes the time making sure your uke is "good to go." I'd say just buy from him and be done with it. The last thing a beginner need is a ukulele that's buzzing and requires proper set up. You pay a little extra for the peace of mind.

I agree 100% :agree::agree::agree:

Thanks for the reply guys. You know what I might actually go for that ka-cem. Seems like a good uke for beginner/intermediate players and plus i think i'd be saving money in the long run when i think about it cuz it DOES come with strings a case and a tuner.

Well I think I made my decision! Thanks a lot! You guys would be hearing from me again soon! I'll post up a pic when I get it haha =]

Top Bottom