Ukulele with plectrum

jcder

Reaction score
is there any sense in playing a Uke with a plectrum?

All the Vid's I have seen so far are folk plying with their fingers ....

(just wondering)

Theres a jazz teacher on youtube who uses a pick. glennrosejazz. He also uses a baritone ukulele. Sounds good though.

traditionally you use the fingers, but anything goes - just be careful with that pick, most ukes dont have scratch guards, or use a felt or leather pick

is there any sense in playing a Uke with a plectrum?

It makes as much sense as playing bongos with drumsticks.

Which is to say, it makes some sense, in some cases, for some people. But other than that, there's little need or reason for it.

JJ

Depends on your style. I sometimes use a pick, depends on the type of music I'm playing. i use a pick with my solid-body steel-strings almost every time I play them. But for the nylon-stringed acoustics, it can be a bit harsh.

I opened this thread for the soul purpose of learning what the word " plectrum " means I'm guessing it means to use a pick of some sort but wher in the world did that word come from? I'm going to go google it now
Ok I'm back it's just any form of a pick wow I learned something today :) http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plectrum?wasRedirected=true

Last edited:
I suppose one should at least have some familiarity with using a plectrum, on the off chance that it comes up someday. I play bass, and use my fingers almost exclusively. The trumpet player in the jazz band I used to play in once said something about how all "real" bassists use their fingers, and I said that in my opinion, REAL bassists use whatever the song requires. Sometimes the song requires a pick (or at least a VERY consistent clicky tone that you MIGHT be able to get with one finger if you use a bit of nail). Ukulele songs, as far as I know, mostly use fingers for strumming, but it's conceivable that a pick might be required. Having said that, I pretty much NEVER use them, although I do have a couple of different types of felt ukulele picks. I'm kind of curious about the leather picks made by Kiwaya. I doubt I would ever use one of those really either, though! Still, to be well-rounded, I do believe it doesn't hurt to know how (and when) to use a pick.

I use my index finger for most fast strumming, but have been working on single note picking with a thumbpick or combination of thumpick, index/middle fingers. So far so good. Slow strums with the thumbpick.

My company have just launched "Jumping Cow" leather picks for ukulele and banjo. Obviously, if you're finger-picking you need to use your fingers but some players struggle with getting a consistent tone when strumming and that's where these picks are useful. They have a nice soft tone without losing volume and they look pretty good too! http://bit.ly/lNqxXf

There have been a couple of times when I've beat my fingers up so badly working on the house addition that I've used a thin nylon pick for a few days to let them heal. Otherwise, I find that the fingers are more expressive and allow for a greater variety of rhythmic "tricks." If you're looking for tops in volume, though, you'll usually get it from a pick unless you've got great fingernails.

John

My experience is that I've played with and without picks. Our uke club gets loud and since I have to lead the group I need the extra volume the pick provides, so I use it at our club meetings. I also use it when I play live with the other group I'm in for the same reason. (If I ever get the ambition I'll get a pick up installed in one of my ukes, then I probably won't need the pick for live performances). When playing a lead/solo break, it can be nice having the pick also.

At home, though I play almost exculsively with my fingers.

Either way, it's still all fun.
Rus

There have been a couple of times when I've beat my fingers up so badly working on the house addition that I've used a thin nylon pick for a few days to let them heal. Otherwise, I find that the fingers are more expressive and allow for a greater variety of rhythmic "tricks." If you're looking for tops in volume, though, you'll usually get it from a pick unless you've got great fingernails.

John

yes I was wondering about this myself.
If someone is a professionall musician and playing a lot, lets say for example, teaching several hours every day then practice, then gigs, how do fingers and nails hold up to that kind fo abuse?

When I had that kind of shedualle when I was working as a guitarist it was brutal on my hands, I couldnt emagine always goign pickless even on nylon strings....

yes I was wondering about this myself.
If someone is a professionall musician and playing a lot, lets say for example, teaching several hours every day then practice, then gigs, how do fingers and nails hold up to that kind fo abuse?

When I had that kind of shedualle when I was working as a guitarist it was brutal on my hands, I couldnt emagine always goign pickless even on nylon strings....

Actually, I've never had that heavy a schedule but you'd be surprised how well nails hold up if you take care of them (yeah, I'm the 50+ fat balding guy you see hanging out in the nail care department at WalMart) and shape them right. And when your nails are shaped right and you're using good technique most of the "hard" striking occurs on the nails, not the pads. The tough part is when your nails get beaten back by other things so you're strumming against the fleshy tip instead of the nail - that's when I go to a pick.

If you search for nail care you'll find a few threads devoted to the topic of toughening, protecting, and shaping your nails.

John

Top Bottom