Tenor strings on a Baritone

rayray

Reaction score
I was just wondering, Has anyone ever tried using tenor strings on a baritone uke?

There would be too much tension on the strings to tune them gCEA, but you could tune them differently (i.e - lower) it might sound good too, but you would have to play on your own, because if you played with other ukes you would be out of key with them unless you learned the chord shaped for your new tuning. I have a Mahalo Ukulele-Guitar, which because it has a short scale, doesn't sound good tuned EADGBE like a normal guitar (strings are too loose), but is great if lifted higher by 3 positions (like a capo on the 3rd fret of a normal guitar). Why not try it, you never know, you may find the tuning works great, but don't try gCEA, you will probably over-stretch your strings (or pull your bridge off as a worst case scenario).

I have an old Giannini baritone strung with Worth Brown Medium tenor strings tuned E A C# F#. It sounds awesome. No one here plays well enough to play with anyone else so it doesn't matter what tuning it's in, but that is the one that makes it sing.

Music Guy Mike sells an aquilla set which lets you tune to standard GCEA tuning. If sounds big, and bright. Like me. (I crack myself up.)

I just didn't want to memorize chords in two shapes....too confusing for me. The baritone gives it a full sound, and the extra finger room is nice too.

Music Guy Mike sells an aquilla set which lets you tune to standard GCEA tuning. If sounds big, and bright. Like me. (I crack myself up.)

I just didn't want to memorize chords in two shapes....too confusing for me. The baritone gives it a full sound, and the extra finger room is nice too.

The Aquilas sound really good, I had a baritone set gCEA on an old Kamaka and the tone was hypnotic. :love:

Try it!

Top Bottom