Ukers and the sacrafices they make

Miss Michele

Reaction score
So, I got paid today, and I really want that Lanakai Spruce Top Concert Uke that is hanging in the window of the local music store. That would mean doing without a few other things, or just not paying my bills :p

I just got word that my hours will be cut at work. This check will be my last full paycheck for a while. I know what the right thing to do is but, that uke is so tempting! lol.

I was just wondering with you ukers what sacrafices have you made to fullfill your UAS?

I know you don't want to hear this, but I think its better to live within your means. An LU-21 isn't a Koaloha, but its still a good ukulele. Concentrate on learning to play it better and loving it, until you can budget for something better. That is a form of sacrifice that will make the eventual purchase sweeter. To do otherwise will put unnecessary strain on you at a time you don't need it, which may keep you from enjoying either of them as much as you should.

I find the used market to be a better place to buy ukuleles when I am short of disposable cash. I bought my mahogany soprano that way off eBay and saved a considerable amount. It took some time to find it. I looked for probably 6 months before I bought my spruce top tenor, and eventually was able to find a nearly new floor model at a big discount. It takes more time and some effort to find deals on eBay, Craigslist, or just prowling the stores to get bargains, but it sounds like you are about to have more time than money. I am semi-retired so I know that condition well. Buying used also actually helps the market for new more expensive ukes, because it gives people a way to get some cash for the old to help defray the cost of the new.

Good luck with it, whatever you decide.

Last edited:
Aloha Michele,
Sorry to hear your situation, a lanikai sprue top would be kinda bright you know....sorry to burst your bubble..maybe like SWB said a second hand on is your best option....you can get a better ukulele at
a better price...I hope your cut hours will be temporary so you can get your ukulele....Good Luck Girl!! I will be crossing my finger for you...Happy Strummings, MM Stan..

Check out Zzounds.com - They have a 4 payment, no interest program on everything $249.00 and above. They will bill your credit card or debit card in 4 equal monthly payments. It's a good way to get the music gear you want now when you are short on cash.

Sorry also about the hours. But only you know what disposable income you have and how to spend it. But if you are asking ways to do without so you can uke, here are a few:

Coffee at home instead of Starbucks
Netflicks not cable
Lots of pasta :)
)

I sacrificed buying clothes/shoes to buy ukuleles for a long time. But now, I've reversed the trend, and have been selling ukes to buy clothes. You can only go so long without new clothes, but can go pretty long without a new uke.

UAS in Reverse!

Had my eyes on a Red Cedar Concert from Mainland. Had saved the money for it but they ran out of stock. While waiting for their next shipment (late this month) I just received word that I'm out of work. Hurriedly sold three of my ukes this week... Mele Tenor, Pono Concert and Eleuke Concert. It hurt! But... I'll live to buy another day! But I know what you mean... I still want that Mainland! It's just that I want my home more! :)
So, I got paid today, and I really want that Lanakai Spruce Top Concert Uke that is hanging in the window of the local music store. That would mean doing without a few other things, or just not paying my bills :p

I just got word that my hours will be cut at work. This check will be my last full paycheck for a while. I know what the right thing to do is but, that uke is so tempting! lol.

I was just wondering with you ukers what sacrafices have you made to fullfill your UAS?

I have to pretty much agree with Sweetwater. Walk away for now. I have lived over 70 years of up and downs in our economy and learned, I think :), that we are far better off living within our means, and putting off what we cannot really afford. We are a society that is currently suffering from a long long period of buy and enjoy now, and pay later, much much later. The job market is still in terrible shape, and you definitely need to look to your current needs and project what you are going to need to get though this rough patch. Are you married and have other income? that might factor in. Enjoy what you have and "dream" about the Uke you will one day get. It will be so much sweeter when you buy it without pressure. Good Luck!! Lozark

Tough situation Miss Michele. I'm afraid I agree with all these guys - don't spend what you don't have! I spent decades getting out of debt (credit cards and school loans) and only finished a few years ago - just my mortgage left now. I never want to do that again and I warn everyone to avoid it like the plague. Definitely don't buy anything that keeps you from paying your bills!

I think you already know all this or you wouldn't be torn about it. If you're hearing warning bells in your head - that's your subconscious trying to keep you from making a mistake here. Listen to them and save yourself some grief!

You ask what I've sacrificed for UAS? Virtually all of my savings. Some days I kick myself, other days I just love my ukes to death.

Sorry also about the hours. But only you know what disposable income you have and how to spend it. But if you are asking ways to do without so you can uke, here are a few:

Coffee at home instead of Starbucks

Hey, wait! I work for Starbucks! How will I be able to afford that next ukulele??

(Just kidding - I do work for Starbucks, but I also understand economic realities. Which is why, being retired, I also work at Starbucks.)

-Kurt

Mine hasn't been so much a sacrifice as a change in priorities. Before I started playing ukulele, I used to blog about shoes at a pretty well-known site. While this earned me the privilege of being sent shoes, free, by manufacturers to review, I also spent an embarrassing amount of money on footwear that I didn't really need.

Not long after I started playing, I realized that my first uke - a cheapie little Ohana - gave me far more enjoyment than any pair of shoes did, at a considerably lower price. I quit writing the blog, put most of my shoe inventory on eBay, and started channeling my cash in the direction of, well, mainly Kamaka :)

I'm new here, but I'm learnng

I mean no disrespect.

In my humble opinion, the Ukulele is a touchstone of sorts, and it is meant to bring the player to a place of serenity and peace. Making an unhealthy or unwise sacrifice is bad mojo of sorts... I stead of serenity, it will bring you to a place of stress and difficulty. Perhaps, in a sense, it will be tainted..... Just my two cents. That and a dollar will get you something that costs $1.02. Either way, best of luck.

I mean no disrespect.

In my humble opinion, the Ukulele is a touchstone of sorts, and it is meant to bring the player to a place of serenity and peace. Making an unhealthy or unwise sacrifice is bad mojo of sorts... I stead of serenity, it will bring you to a place of stress and difficulty. Perhaps, in a sense, it will be tainted..... Just my two cents. That and a dollar will get you something that costs $1.02. Either way, best of luck.

Providing, of course, that the OP is making an unwise or unhealthy sacrifice. But rearranging priorities may not be unhealthy or unwise. Only the OP knows for sure!:)

Michelle, Quick, hurry up and snatch that uke up before somebody else does!

JK, save your money for groceries and rent, Dear. I had my hours cut at work over a year ago. I said "Hours-schmours". I quit and got the job of my dreams after that, and my job life couldn't be better. And in a crashing economy!
(I refuse to participate in the recession)

I have to pretty much agree with Sweetwater. Walk away for now. I have lived over 70 years of up and downs in our economy and learned, I think :), that we are far better off living within our means, and putting off what we cannot really afford. We are a society that is currently suffering from a long long period of buy and enjoy now, and pay later, much much later.
I'm not quite as old as you (only 57) but my parents brought me up to only buy what I could pay for outright, and I have always believed in saving up for things I want. It makes them that much more special when I can get them. :)

Buy now, pay later, heck, half the time before you get something paid off it's obsolete already, especially when it comes to electronics and computer stuff.

I know you don't want to hear this, but I think its better to live within your means. An LU-21 isn't a Koaloha, but its still a good ukulele. Concentrate on learning to play it better and loving it, until you can budget for something better. That is a form of sacrifice that will make the eventual purchase sweeter. To do otherwise will put unnecessary strain on you at a time you don't need it, which may keep you from enjoying either of them as much as you should.

I find the used market to be a better place to buy ukuleles when I am short of disposable cash. I bought my mahogany soprano that way off eBay and saved a considerable amount. It took some time to find it. I looked for probably 6 months before I bought my spruce top tenor, and eventually was able to find a nearly new floor model at a big discount. It takes more time and some effort to find deals on eBay, Craigslist, or just prowling the stores to get bargains, but it sounds like you are about to have more time than money. I am semi-retired so I know that condition well. Buying used also actually helps the market for new more expensive ukes, because it gives people a way to get some cash for the old to help defray the cost of the new.

Good luck with it, whatever you decide.

Sweetwaterblue, thanks for your advice! Don't get me wrong, I really love my Lu-21. It's been a great uke! It's just that UAS kicking in. I'll look in the "used" marketplace and see what I can find.

Aloha Michele,
Sorry to hear your situation, a lanikai sprue top would be kinda bright you know....sorry to burst your bubble..maybe like SWB said a second hand on is your best option....you can get a better ukulele at
a better price...I hope your cut hours will be temporary so you can get your ukulele....Good Luck Girl!! I will be crossing my finger for you...Happy Strummings, MM Stan..

Thanks, Stan, the boss is hoping to put me back to full-time in the spring. I hope I can make it that long!

Top Bottom