Best and Most Amazing New Ukulele Player Experience

Reaction score
I am as green as they get when it comes to playing any musical instrument. I am dedicated to learning as much as I can about my new ukulele. However, at the time of my purchase, I knew nothing. When the salesperson tuned my uke and handed it over, I thought I was ready to go. It was not until today did I discover the importance of a professional ukulele set-up.

With help from members from the UU forums (thanks again OldePhart and chiefnoda!), I learned about intonation. Basically this refers to pitch accuracy. In my case, I noticed that although my open strings were tuned properly, I could not reproduce the same notes on other strings with the pitch being sharp.

So why has this been the best and most amazing experience? Today I had the pleasure of meeting Mim of mim's ukes (www.mimsukes.com) and she changed my entire outlook on playing the ukulele. Mim was so gracious to offer set-up my ukulele gratis! We are talking about a uke purchased elsewhere. Mim is simply the best!

What is even more amazing to me is that when Mim handed back my uke after set up - it was better than brand new. I could actually strum chords without my fingertips turning red. I hit the Bb correctly for the first time on the first try! I could have sworn that I was playing a uke twice as expensive. It felt so much better to play and the tone was finally as it should be! I can't stress enough how important it is to get a proper set-up of your new instrument.

Although I am elated with my brand new ukulele, my experience with Mim, was the best part of all. I also know that from now on, Mim will be getting all my business. Thank you so much Mim! If you are in Charlotte, you must visit her at Aloha Snow. of course her website is global (www.mimsukes.com).

Mim - I can't wait to see you on Feb 5th for the next Uke Jam Session!

And THAT's what makes a good uke dealer. Way to go, Mim, you rock!!

And... welcome David to UU! I bet you will be pretty equally amazed at all the other fine folks you meet as you learn more about this cool instrument.

Keep strumming! And Aloha, from Alabama!

Aloha David,
Thanks for sharing your story....of the great members we have here always nice to hear about them....WOW...MM Stan..

Maybe if I'm allowed to take the car on that long of a road trip (you're always 16 to your parents), maybe I'll take a 3 hour road trip for ice cream and ukulele, when I get back home. :)

PLEASE come visit me! I love company! Especially uke company in the winter when ice cream sales are slow! I love to talk uke! Just make sure you call first to make sure I am here. Most likely I am, but every now and then I take a day off! And sometimes my invincability wanes and I get ill. But usually I am here (except Sundays)

Unfortunately, Mim's is pretty far away from me. Should I take my uke back to Sam Ash to try to have it set up?

Unfortunately, Mim's is pretty far away from me. Should I take my uke back to Sam Ash to try to have it set up?

Nickie, I originally went back to the store where I purchased my uke before I saw Mim but they did not do the work there. They said they could refer me to local luthiers but would be very costly. It may be possible that someone at your local Sam Ash could refer you to one but look for a locally owned music shop near you to get both professional and personal service from someone whi is going to care for your uke as much as you do!
Like I said, my instrument sounds and feels so much better that I now know that a good set-up is required.

I did a little looking at other blogs and found that a place called Legends may be a place to check out. Contact Info.

Good luck and uke with a smile!
David

I'd definately agree Mim is one of the best dealers out there. I keep hoping for a charter out her way so I can meet her and thank her in person for the great deal I got on my O-8E, unfortunately her shop is quite a drive from Utah!

I've played musical instruments all my life, but the uke only for the last 3 years. Since the birth of the internet I have partaken in many forums and groups for a variety of interests (not just music) and before the internet and since have been a member of various clubs.

I can HONESTLY say that never in my 39 years have I been involved in such a friendly positive community as those who play ukes - it regularly just stuns me how great people are.

I think that rubs off on dealers too. Sure, not all uke dealers are great (but in those cases, if you cannot find a good one locally, you always have this forum!) but I have spoken to some SUPERB uke dealers who go the extra mile. Let me tell you, with 20 years before the uke going in guitar shops, it is very rarely the same there...

I am as green as they get when it comes to playing any musical instrument. I am dedicated to learning as much as I can about my new ukulele. However, at the time of my purchase, I knew nothing. When the salesperson tuned my uke and handed it over, I thought I was ready to go. It was not until today did I discover the importance of a professional ukulele set-up.

With help from members from the UU forums (thanks again OldePhart and chiefnoda!), I learned about intonation. Basically this refers to pitch accuracy. In my case, I noticed that although my open strings were tuned properly, I could not reproduce the same notes on other strings with the pitch being sharp.

So why has this been the best and most amazing experience? Today I had the pleasure of meeting Mim of mim's ukes (www.mimsukes.com) and she changed my entire outlook on playing the ukulele. Mim was so gracious to offer set-up my ukulele gratis! We are talking about a uke purchased elsewhere. Mim is simply the best!

What is even more amazing to me is that when Mim handed back my uke after set up - it was better than brand new. I could actually strum chords without my fingertips turning red. I hit the Bb correctly for the first time on the first try! I could have sworn that I was playing a uke twice as expensive. It felt so much better to play and the tone was finally as it should be! I can't stress enough how important it is to get a proper set-up of your new instrument.

Although I am elated with my brand new ukulele, my experience with Mim, was the best part of all. I also know that from now on, Mim will be getting all my business. Thank you so much Mim! If you are in Charlotte, you must visit her at Aloha Snow. of course her website is global (www.mimsukes.com).

Mim - I can't wait to see you on Feb 5th for the next Uke Jam Session!

This is just another great review of Mim and her great service.. When the tax return comes in... :) A new uke from Mim is MINE!!! :)

PLEASE come visit me! I love company! Especially uke company in the winter when ice cream sales are slow! I love to talk uke! Just make sure you call first to make sure I am here. Most likely I am, but every now and then I take a day off! And sometimes my invincability wanes and I get ill. But usually I am here (except Sundays)

I'm in Finland, but I'm from Charleston. I went to Winthrop, so Charlotte is like my favorite town. I-26 to I-77 with a pitstop in Blythewood and I'm there. I just have to get back home first.... and convince my parents that I do need a road trip (without them!). Like I said, you're always 16 to your parents. We could make it our secret mission to convert my husband to the uke side. :)

When that day finally comes, I will certainly get in touch!

Top Bottom