1959 Martin tiple T-15

rbeetsme

Reaction score
Another one of my "I'll never sell this instrument" instruments. A really clean Martin T-15 all mahogany ten string tiple. Some minor dings and light scratches but no evidence of any repairs, cracks or abuse. Fretboard is very clean on this lightly played Martin. This is the best of the 5 tiples I have owned, great tone, good action, decent intonation. No issues with this one, tiples often have problems with the neck and bridge because of the tension of 10 steel strings, this one is solid. Comes period chipboard case. Not too many in this condition, $925.00 delivered to lower 48 states. Offers?

tiple02.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, but I'm still trying to figure out the four string.

Wow--nice! If you have any sopranos you'll never sell that you sell, I'd love to see them! :)

...how about first born child? Is that a fair trade?

No sopranos currently, well...my Roy Smeck Vita Uke feels more like a soprano than a concert, so does the Roy Smeck Concert sunburst. Sunburst is currently on ebay.

This is my favorite of their tiples - I used to play one regularly that wasn't mine, and I fell in love with it.

Those of you who aren't sure - this is tuned just as a uke, in fifths. Cats and the Fiddle used one - they were a tiple, a tenor and a bass player. Ahhh - sorry, all I can do is wistfully stare at it.

I love it too, nice voice, easy to play once you get the hang of fretting 3 strings with one finger. I also have a MM 8 string and haven't been playing this. If you go to large jams, and want to stand out among the dozen sopranos, this is the ticket!

I sold the Gibson and the Martin is still reluctantly on the block. Act now before I change my mind.

Last edited:
Do Martin tiples use steel or nylon/gut/fluro strings? I'm curious, because I saw Los Lobos perform on NPR's Tiny Desk Concert video podcast. David Hidalgo was playing this small, steel-stringed guitar-family instrument. After watching for a while, I could see ukulele chords being used. The sound he was making was, of course, different from a 8-string uke and a mandolin. Still, it was super cool. I wanted it.

Do Martin tiples use steel or nylon/gut/fluro strings? I'm curious, because I saw Los Lobos perform on NPR's Tiny Desk Concert video podcast. David Hidalgo was playing this small, steel-stringed guitar-family instrument. After watching for a while, I could see ukulele chords being used. The sound he was making was, of course, different from a 8-string uke and a mandolin. Still, it was super cool. I wanted it.

Steel, from all I have seen.

Tiples were designed to use steel strings but I know at least one person who is using nylon strings on 2 of his. The Martins are the best of the tiples, Martin invented the instrument in the 20's. The story goes that an employee was traveling in South America brought home a cuatro (12 string guitar, 4 courses of 3 strings). The folks at Martin designed the tiple on the same concept but wanted to use a tenor uke body to cash in on the ukulele popularity. The steel strings were loud enough so that the player could be heard over the brass section. After electric guitars were introduced the popularity of tiples waned. Unique sound, still plenty loud. I've had 5 tiples, never tried nylon strings.

No, one guy was ready to buy, made an offer and then got cold feet. I haven't had much luck selling high end instruments lately. I think I'll keep it, great player! (I had a lead on a William King but needed to sell a few instruments to swing it)

No, one guy was ready to buy, made an offer and then got cold feet. I haven't had much luck selling high end instruments lately. I think I'll keep it, great player! (I had a lead on a William King but needed to sell a few instruments to swing it)

That's a shame. If I had the funds I'd scoop it up...but alas I'd have to sell a high end to afford it, and like you said they're just not moving. Maybe try putting it on the evil bay in late April. People will have tax money burning a hole in their pocket.

Good luck!

Top Bottom