Feeling like a mad scientist

Zakulele

Reaction score
I'm considering trying to create a "canjo-lele".
I guess the best way to describe it would be taking this:
5204295365_b0ca65b790_z.jpg

and just having a wider neck and bigger can, 3 more strings and hopefully tune it GCEA or DGBE tuning.

Anyone ever try this before or know anyone who has tried?

Can't say for sure, but I think you may have some intonation issues with that fret spacing. ;-)

I like the creativity though.

Lots of ukes in Hawaii have been made from Spam cans. They sound like, well..... a can on a stick. .

I've eaten Spam on a stick, but never heard a Spam can on a stick. Thanks for enlightening me and making me laugh.

what about 4 different sized cans? or one big one with spacers in it??? Don't kill me! Just throwing an idea out there! :)

I forgot to add that I want to try and maintain the same fret spacing as a uke? The four cans sounds like an interesting idea.

I built a full upright, four string bass once using a washtub and weed-whacker line. No, it was not a single string washtub bass. It had a finger board (no frets, duh) and everything. Sounded pretty good, but very, very quiet. It ended up in pieces in the workshop after needing to take apart to fix the neck. I still haven't gotten around to putting it back together again.

~DB

they do not necessarily have to be side by side, think of them as a compensated bridge.

Top Bottom