what is your go to uke?

sailboats

Reaction score
I am sure most of the people on this board have a ukulele in every size. (except for me...I don't have a concert)

but is your go to uke? Tenor? Baritone? Concert? Soprano?

My go to uke is a tenor for sure...I do love the baritones also though.

My fender Tenor is my most commonly played. ( I am aware they do not have a good rating...but i picked this one up for the look and just feel in love.

g'day sailboats

great question...my go to uke is almost always a soprano size, and particularly, a mya moe mango soprano. Love it for its sweet balanced tone.

My "banger" uke that is the go anywhere (and I mean anywhere :eek:) workhorse is a concert scale batik flea; great projection and volume and sturdy as all heck!!! Happy ukeing bro!!! :)

It really does depend on my mood

Not really. I only have one size myself. I have a handful (about 5, or 6 can't remember at the moment because I get em, and give some away all the time). But, all I have, and have ever had is Soprano size Ukes. Thats the ones I love, and that's the size I choose and play. I love "traditional" and was drawn to the Uke because of it's traditional sound, and the Soprano is what gives me that.

My go to is 'IZ", the Ohana SK-35. I love my Ohana Sopranino too, but in all seriousness, I have been thinking about selling her. As much as I love her, she's just too small for me to hold. When playing her, she slides all around and my fingers have a hard time with the tighter fretboard. But, she's still fun..

Aloha Sailboats,
For me it depends because of my disability...but for now my preference is a soprano...it depends on your comfort zone for playing and your criteria...style, type of song, sound, experince..etc...
You gotta try them out and video or record yourself and playback and look or look and listen to know which you do best at......Good Luck and Happy Strummings...MM Stan

For me my Kala spruce top Bari in low G. It just sounds so clear in sound and resonance and it sounds just like my tenor only a bit fuller in sound. It feels more comfortable to fret and pick for me, and though I still pick up my tenors once in a while, I find I go to my Bari 90% of the time. But I agree with Stan, in that it depends a lot on your own areas of what you like and works for you. Lozark

Concert. Don't have a Tenor, have had them but I go back to Concert fo sho. I like soprano but would like a nicer one than I have currenty, my concerts are just better instruments (Moore Bettah, Koaloha, Howlett beat a KPK any day). But my first uke was a concert and I have always felf comfortable with the scale.

All I have is tenors and my go to uke is my Kamaka.

probably my soprano vintage brüko. because it sits on my desk and its easy to pick up when I sit behide the laptop.

as a close second its my kala fmt as its next to the desk in her case

on tird place its my eleuke because its alot of fun to play with all kinds of crazy effects

and lastly my makala pineaple because it sound rather tinny compared to my bruko

Go To: Mainland Soprano "Chili" - 'cause it is hanging next to my monitor.

But... my KoAloha Super Concert or my Gstring long neck soprano are getting pretty equal workouts depending on mood.

The Martin "0" is presently being re-humidified in its case, or I would guess it would knock the plastic-backed Chili off its #1 spot.

I guess it would be my Kiwaya KS-1 since it hangs out in my office. When I practice or sit down to really play, its a toss up between mo KoAloha tenor and my national reso concert.

I bring my Applause Acoustic Soprano (red) just about everywhere so it's the go-to for now.

Used to be my Kala Travel Soprano.

Soprano for me.

I may be taking out my 5-string (prototype) Mele Concert, octaved 'g'. Gives a nice full sound
to support a singer like me. Singer/Strummers Unite!

Keep uke'in',

I'm with Uncle Rod...singer/strummer....I use my tenor with dropped tuning to match my vocal range and style of music........BO..................

I view this question as, if someone asked me to stand up and play right now, what ukulele would I choose. I have only played out a couple times with others and my older Kinohi tenor (2007) is my go to ukulele; even though my other tenor is much sweeter sounding. I am just more familiar with the quirks of my Kinohi.

I recall a video where Jake Shimabukuro was asked how many differnet ukuleles he plays and he basically talked about really getting to know a single ukulele. He said that every ukulele has different qualities, how different notes on a fretboard react, and learning to compensate for those differences. For me that defines a go to ukulele.

John

Top Bottom