Incorrect Tuning Caused Problems

Uke Whisperer

Reaction score
If someone were to attempt to tune a brand new Soprano Uke (every string) backwards (AECG), then someone else immediately re-tuned correctly (GCEA), what could the new owner (whom at that time hadn’t even touched it) experience when he got it home and started playing it?

Could it cause the uke to go out of tune almost immediately after starting to play it?
Could it cause a string to be difficult to tune (once in-tune and one re-checked it, it was already out of tune?
Could it cause some strings to go “in and out” of sounding “dead”?
Could it cause intonation issues that seem to get worse as you played it?
Could it cause the purchaser to feel sick to their stomach?
Could it cause other issues?

If “NO” to all of the above, then any ideas of what would cause such?
(Heading back to re-visit those involved today but would like to know other’s thoughts before I do.)

Thanks

so i take it it was left handed for one user than right handed for the other?

were the strings taken off and put on in the different order? you need the right strings for GCEA tuning. (which would just be the strings put on in the reverse order of what it started with AEGC)

but yes...tuning a uke to such a different pattern could cause it go go out of tune right away. just like when you tune a uke when strings are put on for the first time it takes a while for the strings to settle in.

Last edited:
so i take it it was left handed for one user than right handed for the other?

I don't know if the tuner was left or right handed. The purchaser is right handed.

were the strings taken off and put on in the different order? you need the right strings for GCEA tuning. (which would just be the strings put on in the reverse order of what it started with AEGC)

The tuning was to "touch-up" before delivery. String were on the uke from the factory as GCEA, not changed, then "touch-up" actually re-tuned to AECG.

but yes...tuning a uke to such a different pattern could cause it go go out of tune right away. just like when you tune a uke when strings are put on for the first time it takes a while for the strings to settle in.

If the say the "G" string was acually tuned to "A", etc., would it be stretched to a point that permantly damaged it (stretching too far that it would'nt settle back in???

Thanks...

Last edited:
Maybe...that doesn't help.
Most uke strings take a LONG time to stay in tune - they stretch for a long time. Keep re-tuning and they'll settle in.
(Tuning pegs sometimes slip a little also - they can be tightened, if needed)

If the say the "G" string was acually tuned to "A", etc., would it be stretched to a point that permantly damaged it (stretching too far that it would'nt settle back in???

No. It's not uncommon for people to temporarily tune up a full step (or even more) and then tune back down. Many people often tune new strings "up" to help them stretch faster. I would be very surprised if any permanent damage had been done to your strings, and it definitely would not damage your uke.

Aloha Uncle Tom,
I"d throw some new strings on as they are inexpensive and it's always better with a new set to avoid old problems and you'll know how it should be sounding right...don't waste you time with the old strings..
Good Luck!! MM Stan..
Anytime you loosen the stings all the way or put new strings on you will have the breaking in of the
strings for streching.. What I do to quicken the process is to tune your uke then bend each individual
string from side to side 3-4 times and retune...do that whole process 3-4 times daily until strings keep
their tune and break in ...Good Luck!! Happy Strummings..:)

Last edited:

Thanks...

Not the G string for sure. that is only two frets up. but maybe the 1st string or "A string" if it was tuned to a higher G.

myself i would pick up a new set of strings.

it does take some time for strings to settle in though just keep tuning it up when it goes out of tune.

I doubt it caused any damage. Depending on the strings changing the tension up or down will cause them to settle in a bit and require a few tunings.
I regularly tune up or down a step, it is not uncommon to require a few tunings. This is one reason for a gig I carry a few ukuleles so I don't need to retune.
With tension changes the ukulele itself needs to adjust. The neck can be slower to adjust to new tensions than the strings.

The A and G strings are the least impacted because a step difference probably has little effect.

The E string that was essentially tuned down to C with lower tension than normal so it may need to settle in when tuned properly, so the E may need to be re-tuned a little more.

The only string/ukulele issue could be the C string because it is the heaviest string and it was tuned up the greatest amount so that string was tuned as if the ukulele was tuned to E instead of C. The C would need to relax and it will either go back to the right C tension or it will always be off.

Obviously, as others have said, you should change all the strings and see what happens.

John

Again, thanks all.
Only GCEA strings they had in stock (other than the black ones with a wraped string), were Martin Soprano standard. After playing and a little stretching that started to settle down. Not the strings I would have chosen if they had others in-stock, however they were free and installed for me. So, I got some professional help learning proper stringing, better tuning and adustment of the bridge location/correcting atoning issues. (I hope it was as professional as it seeemed). I am very pleased and feel much better than during the previous evening/night! Your responses gave me a little "warm and cozy" feeling about it working out okay! Again thanks!

Again, thanks all.
Only GCEA strings they had in stock (other than the black ones with a wraped string), were Martin Soprano standard. After playing and a little stretching that started to settle down. Not the strings I would have chosen if they had others in-stock, however they were free and installed for me. So, I got some professional help learning proper stringing, better tuning and adustment of the bridge location/correcting atoning issues. (I hope it was as professional as it seeemed). I am very pleased and feel much better than during the previous evening/night! Your responses gave me a little "warm and cozy" feeling about it working out okay! Again thanks!

If those were the Martin fluorocarbon strings (M600) they're actually quite good though they are a little heavier than most other fluorocarbons.

John

Top Bottom