sneering third string

lufra94

Reaction score
i just wanted to ask if it´s normal that my uke is making this sneering sound on third string
my bridge is looking different at third string than at the others
thanks for answering

Ok - I will bite. What is a "sneering" sound? Can you provide any more info?

it´s not pure kinda buzzing
i´m sorry i´m not a native speaker

the bridge at the third string is pretty flat the others are pointy

maybe i´m just overreakting and it´s wanted like this

buzzing may be coming from wider groove in the nut....try shim it with paper.....Good Luck!!
You probally have a compensated saddle...

Last edited:
The bridge should be tapered to a smooth break - some are rounded so the break is near the middle like a fret - others are more like a guitar where the break is at the front of the bridge (toward the soundhole). If the top of the bridge is flat it is very easy for the string to squirm against it and that is probably what you are hearing. Squirming is usually more of a problem on the C string anyway because in most string sets the C string (3rd) is under the least tension of all the strings.

I would see if you can shape that part of the bridge so it matches the rest of the bridge, but be careful not to actually lower the height of the high point. (If you also need to remove some height from the bridge - do that after the top is crowned properly, then lower the entire bridge by sanding the bottom of the saddle.

John

Aloha lufra94,
You must be new here (4 POST). Welcome to UU and the forum. It's hard to troubleshoot anything without looking at it. Is a music store availble in your area? Maybe you can take it there to have someone look at it. Hope you resolve this issue.
good luck........BO..........

Thanks for your help, Swervy. You stay classy.

To the OP, can you take a picture of it? Maybe if some of the gurus can see it, they can see if something's wrong.

Swervy- post of the week on the Underground
Cheers
TCK
No one has said that the strings are dead yet, and I notice when i need a string change at the third first. In any event- going to need pictures of the bridge to sort out what is wrong for sure.

Top Bottom