Glen Rose's new jazz lessons

Kimosabe

Reaction score
My own playing and song writing has greatly advanced due to Glen Rose's teaching. I am a teacher myself and appreciatie good teaching, which means that you will learn. I don't like to get nowhere. You can see my version of Let's Get Lost on kjorgensen100 on youtube. I made that arrangement by using a fakebook and putting in time to get the right chord shapes to produce the right tone movement in the chord changes. I also worked to get the rhythm right so that things naturally move. A song carries you along. I developed the ability to play as I do by working steadily with Glen's material. It's fun. I became familiar with the chords for that song by working with Glen's stuff. Jazz repeats patterns. Glen teaches you those patterns. The chord changes are easy on the hand. That's why they sound good. They're close on the neck. The ear likes subtle movements.

If you have bought Glen's earlier Jazz ukulele material, these new video lessons, in the Video Library section of his website, continue and advance that material. It is very pleasurable to play jazz uke and Glen makes it relatively easy. Stop and start the 10 min. video, get down what he is doing, the fingering is actually easy, and then play the movements over and over. Experiment around the neck, experiment with rhythm. Get in the jazz groove and make it natural. Glen even gives some real pointers on how effective a simple strum can be, a simple jazz strum. Each chord gets two beat in a two chord measure. Have fun. I'm working on the new video lessons myself. I'm learning. I'm putting in the time. I'm excited. It's coming together.

Just went thru the second video and Glen goes back to earlier material and shows how to spice it up even more. I came to the uke because I was stuck with simple chords on the guitar and the uke made jazz chords so much more in reach. These new video lessons from Glen are adding even more colors to my palette, chords I never imagined I'd use or understand, flatted 9ths with thirteenths...sure buddy...I'm digging it. I can hear them and use them. Oh, did I mention: the videos are a bargain ONLY $5 each. Find as great a teacher anywhere for ten times the price and I'll eat my uke.

Last edited:
I love his stuff. It has really helped me do what i like to do with my ukes.

Just read some of the replies here, and I wholeheartedly agree that Glen Rose is a wonderful teacher!.. Before I bought my baritone uke, I hit the internet with any info I could get on barione uke. I hope I don't offend any uke players, but, I really don't like the "hawaiin" sound at all!. I simply have no interest in getting that sound out of a uke!.. "Enter Glen Rose!".....for me, he saved the day!..and, I know that if I had started out playing those "umpha, umpha" hawaiin chords, I'd go into a depression!.... yes, they're very easy to play, and yes jazz chords are more difficult!...anyways.....I'm now on my third weeks of learning from Glens "Jazzy Ukulele" book and I'm making sounds that make this little old man pretty happy!...
Okay.....I've got a lot to learn with the uke fingering being what it is....this is what I"ve found.....of the 100 or so jazz chords in Glens book, about 36 are quite difficult for me to get the
fingering right.. So, I've highlighted those difficult chords, and I'll be practicing them until my fingers fall off!...the rest of the chords are a snap!....but, let me state here that I"ve got very SMALL FINGERS!..so, for me, its gonna require a lot of practicing. But, I am persistent and will ATTACK those difficult chords with a VENGEANCE!...simply because they're beautiful to listen to, when I finger the chord properly!.. "practice, practice, practice!"...I'm retired, and have a ton of time to do all this!..

And, let me say here, that Glen Rose is a "master teacher" in my humble opinion! If it were not for him, where the hell would I go to get all this great stuff he's done for the
baritone uke....and, for those interested, I just purchased a KOLOA baritone uke from Amazon.com. I never had heard of this brand uke and can't even get any info on the
internet about the company. Its a solid mahogany uke that sounds wonderful to my amateur ears, but what do I know?... okay, as long as it don't fall apart for a couple of
years, I'll be happy!.. Listen, I hope all of you uke players out there appreciate what Glen has done for all of us. Is there anyone else like him?....

Top Bottom