Bass Amp is buzzing like crazy :(

Monkeyswithladders

Reaction score
I was all pumped yesterday to start laying down tracks for a new recording, and I plug in and the bass amp sounded terrible! It sounds like I'm playing through a fuzzbox on a low gain setting, so I'm guessing something happened with my speaker. I've had the amp for like 10 years and it's always been reliable.

So

A.) does anyone have an idea what might have happened? It was like this from the moment I plugged in yesterday, and the last time I played through it I didn't recall any problems. Is this repairable (or economical to repair)?

and

B.) I'm considering taking whatever money I can get for it and purchasing a new amp. So far I'm considering the Gallien-Krueger MB115. Does anyone have a favorite amp you think I should look at?

Thanks for the feedback!!

Without having the amp in front of me, it's impossible to guess, but off the top of my head it sounds like an electronics problem. And without knowing what's wrong, it's impossible to tell how difficult or expensive it would be to fix. It could be something as simple as a resistor burned out, or it could be the power supply is blown. For that matter, are you sure it's even the amp? Do you have another bass or a guitar to plug in and test it?

I have some favorite amps, but my choices don't matter. It's your money. The best advice I can give anyone when it comes to buying an instrument or an amp is to try it out yourself and see if it makes the sound you like. And stay away from the cheap crap if you can afford to...it's always more expensive in the long run.

-Pete

I can't say for sure why your amp is buzzing, but I can vouch for Gallien Kreuger. I've used GK stuff for years and I've always been pleased with thier amplifers.

- Steve

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm definitely sure it's the amp-- I played my guitar through it with the same results, and played the bass through my guitar amp without the buzzing. I guess I'll have to take it to a tech guy and hope for the best before I just drop it and buy something new. I did check out that GK amp at a music store and liked the tone very much.

Top Bottom