New uke day

pdxuke

Reaction score
attachment.php

attachment.php

Well, it's been an incredible two months for me for vintage ukes. I thought I was done for a while when I found the painted Harmony and then the 30s Gretsch, but then I answer an innocent question about my Kiwaya KTS4 and --BAM--I'm buying Jeff's Favilla! (And thank you, Jeff.)

Anyway, it plays like a dream, and for Mr. Mahogany here, it completes my vintage quest (for now). A Martin O, Gibson Uke 1, a Gretsch and now, Favilla. Can that Martin 5 be far behind?:music:

Sound sample soon. Makes me want to record another song this weekend!

BEAUTIFUL!!!! Congrats! I hope it brings you as much pleasure as has mine! A great instrument, you deserve it my friend.....play the heck out of it!

Congratulations!

WOW, awesome uke........CONGRATS..............BO..............

Nice Favilla pdxuke, these seem to have rocketed up in price lately....I thought they were the poor man's (hidden secret) Martin, but alas no longer, more for the affluent poor man these days. It looks to be in pristine condition. Hope you enjoy.

she's a real beauty mate. Great purchase. In fantastic condition too. Taking offers on that painted harmony sweetie???...jus' wondering... :eek:

Aloha PDXuke,
Congrats it looks like quite a beauty.....and I see you're into vintage ukes and starting to have a nice collection of them....may all of your ukes bring you pleasure and happiness as mine has done through the
years...thanks for sharing...Have Fun and enjoy!!! Happy Strummings.....MM Stan...

It is probably to soon to be impartial, but can you compare your vintage ukes?

Do you have a favorite amongst the Martin O, Gibson Uke 1, a Gretsch and Favilla?

BTW Nice collection!

That is one nice looking uke. Simple and Elegant. Congratulations.

It is probably to soon to be impartial, but can you compare your vintage ukes?

Do you have a favorite amongst the Martin O, Gibson Uke 1, a Gretsch and Favilla?

BTW Nice collection!

Hard to have favorites, but there are differences, and I like the differences.

E.G. :

The Gibson Uke 1: This sounds unique of all the vintage ukes I have. It has a sound that has been described as a classic "plunky plunky" uke sound that I just love. I guess it's a classic mainland traditional uke sound that you might have found in the 20s and 30s. You can hear it in my recording of Five Foot Two; it's used as the rhythm section at the key change to D. http://soundcloud.com/pdxuke/5ft2

The 30s Gretsch: A very bright, open sound--much punchier than the others. A great player. I have sound examples of that as well.

The 48 Martin O: A classic sound. Warm, yummy. Surprisingly, not my current favorite. While a great uke, beautifully made, it does have slight intonation issues that others have mentioned, especially that C string, and I think it's the strings. I need to get Worth clears on it; I'm all but certain that's the problem.

The Painted Harmony, c.50s.: Also has a plunky, classic uke sound. Fun to play, good intonation. Glad I have it!

The Favilla: Still trying to date this one. Action is fantastic. Ballanced. Warm and rich. Mellow. Still discovering what it can do.

All have Aquila strings, which I am going to slowly change over to Worths (and I need opinions--browns or clears?)

Thanks, Ryan. Where would you peg it: 50s?

Yes, I'm thinking 50's. I actually haven't seen that model when I am looking online, most of the ones I've seen look like mine. I would hazard a guess that not that many were made like yours! I really like the looks and yours basically looks new. I am really happy for you. Now, for a little sound clip/video review.

The comparison is awesome, maybe you could do a video too???

What a top notch collection you have!

Top Bottom