What is your go to song?

sailboats

Reaction score
Hi My name is Troy Mcclure. You may remember me from such threats as "what is your go to uke"
585838troy%20mclure%201.jpg

anyway!

When I try out a uke at a store or a friends house I always play a song or two in particular...or when i pick up my own uke i play the same song to check if its in tune....or the song I always play just for fun.

My go to song for trying out a uke sound/checking the tuning is 'Tip toe though the tulips.' I also play 'O canada" (first picking song i ever learned)

My go to song that I just love playing is "chocolate jesus" by tom waits.

What are yours?

I play a bunch of different songs, different "moods". But one that I always get allot of comments on, and always been a listeners favorite is Israel Kamakawiwo' (Brudda Iz) "Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World" medley. I can't break out the uke without that being requested..

Stairway to heaven is also a favorite.

Last edited:
Like Tudorp, I am also favoring the heavenly rift. Only know the first part thought (as taught by MusicTeacher2010) and would love to find a tab for the whole song.

Every time I am in a music store plucking on a Uke, I always flashback to Wayne's world and the "no stairway to heaven" sign in the first movie's music store, lol.

"Blue Moon", "When the red red robin comes....", "Hot Tamales", "Who's Takin care of the Caretakers Daughter?", "Tonight you belong to me", "One Meatball", any old time numbers...so many tunes stored in the noggin :)

Aloha Troy,
Welcome to the UU and our humble forums and the ukulele.....I have a few on my moods and time....picking...White Sandy Beach by IZ and Strumming would be a Hawaiian song called.He Aloha No O Honolulu or
Drop Baby Drop for strumming...Have fun here and enjoy and with your ukulele......MM Stan..:):)

Last edited:
Since my long term memory banks only seem to hold few songs at a time, and I don't usually take music books with me to the music store, my go-to songs there are usually the 3 or 4 songs I am working on at the moment. Since I usually work out the solo stuff myself, I have to play them a million times to get them right, and that puts them in the muscle memory. At the moment, I am working on finger picking or chord solo versions of the following:

Pearly Shells
Blue Moon
Fur Elise
Time in a Bottle

Five-foot two, Does your chewing gum lose its flavor, the girl I left behind
Just because those are my "noodle" songs.

It's 'Tip-toe' for me too, AND lately it's been 'A'oia' and 'ku'uipo ika he'e pu'e one'.

'A'oia' is a faster Hawaiian melody and 'ku'uipo' is a more wistful, dreamy number.

Thanks for the 'threat', lol

Keep uke'in',

TOP 5:

Five Foot Two
Paper Moon
It Had to Be You
Baby Face
Ain't She Sweet

I have two covers I go to very regularly. I arranged a version of Satellite of Love that has a variety of techniques for showing off, both vocally and ukulelely. I also have a quick and dirty version of Tom Waits' Telephone Call from Istanbul. I play that whenever I'm in a situation where people are curious about and demanding a tune. I've played Telephone Call from Istanbul at parties, in a barbershop, and once for a crowd of drunken Pitchfork Festival-goers on a moving El train here in Chicago.

"Ain't She Sweet" and/or a cool little version of "Shortnin' Bread" that can fool most people into thinking I know what I'm doing!

I don't really have a go to song - I have a couple of go to chord progressions and picking riffs that I play - especially when checking out a new uke.

I play a "closed" rotation through all the primary and secondary chords starting with the F shape at the second fret (key of G) and then again a few frets up. If the progression doesn't sound as good at the fifth fret as at the second, I keep looking.

Then, i noodle around a few hammer ons, picking runs, and triplets.

Guess I really oughta memorize more songs but I'm kind of used to having a crutch (lead sheet) when I play "for real."

John

Hi Doctor Nick! (Sorry, I couldn't help myself)

My "go-to" songs are generally "I'll See You In My Dreams", "Something" by The Beatles, and lately, an arrangement of "Five Foot Two" that I'm still trying to get under my fingers.

And don't kid yourself, Billy... if that cow had the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you love.

Since my long term memory banks only seem to hold few songs at a time, and I don't usually take music books with me to the music store, my go-to songs there are usually the 3 or 4 songs I am working on at the moment. Since I usually work out the solo stuff myself, I have to play them a million times to get them right, and that puts them in the muscle memory. At the moment, I am working on finger picking or chord solo versions of the following:

Pearly Shells
Blue Moon
Fur Elise
Time in a Bottle
I would love to hear time in a bottle when you get it down!

My "go to" is dream a little dream of me or what a day for a daydream

As of right now, my top two go-to songs are "What a Good Boy" by Barenaked Ladies and my own arrangement of "I Get the Blues When It Rains" (mostly based on the Annette Hanshaw version). I'm constantly fiddling with the latter. People in my circle are familiar with the first one, at least.

If I have my sister with me, it's "Tonight You Belong to Me." We put out a nice duet. :)

Hi My name is Troy Mcclure. You may remember me from such threats as "what is your go to uke"
585838troy%20mclure%201.jpg

anyway!

When I try out a uke at a store or a friends house I always play a song or two in particular...or when i pick up my own uke i play the same song to check if its in tune....or the song I always play just for fun.

My go to song for trying out a uke sound/checking the tuning is 'Tip toe though the tulips.' I also play 'O canada" (first picking song i ever learned)

My go to song that I just love playing is "chocolate jesus" by tom waits.

What are yours?

I remember that educational film "Lead Paint, tasty but deadly"

I am new to uke but am finding right now that Hank Williams, Hey Good Lookin, REO Heard it from a friend, Wheezer Holiday, Old Joe Clark, Somewhere over the Rainbow,,, pretty much anything that I just learned. I have played guitar a lot so I pick up new stuff pretty easily,,, this is certainly a lot of fun. Just bought a new Uke today, a concert this time

Paris Nocturne by MusicTeacher2010, Ain't She Sweet, House of the Rising Sun, Can't Help Falling in Love and my own original Vic's Baby Blue Frog.

Mines not nineteen forever by the courteeners my own take on it

Top Bottom