aNueNue's new "Harp ukulele", revolutionary? Or ridiculous?

pepamahina

Reaction score
I'm wondering what everyone thinks of this new "Harp ukulele" from aNueNue. Al Wood at UkeHunt says it's the only new offering that tingles his UAS. You can see it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi4wls8ddms
I said on ukehunt that I thought that it looks like it’s undergoing some kind of weird messy metamorphosis as it changes from a ukulele into a guitar via some sort of celtic harpesque intermediate stage. Al didn't think that was funny. It's sounds lovely, but aren't they just kind of reinventing the guitar, or a celtic harp? Is it really gaining much from a low G tenor? So what do you think? Am I just a fool and a naysayer who just can't recognize a revolutionary new design? Or is it just kind of silly?

It ain't for my tastes, visually or sonically. :uhoh:

Some of the best designs tread the line between silly and revolutionary, in my humble opinion.

Aloha Pepamahina,
Nothing wrong with new designs, they have been doing them since the beginning of time...doesn't mean they get it right immediately or how many prototypes of failures they go thought to acheive just a basic idea that works.. constant experimenting and product developement and research brings us closer to acheiving a new design...whether it works or appeals to us is a dfferent question...creativity and open minds
move us forward....hopefully.... and sometimes good old designs never need changing too!!

Was going to say that- definitely not a new design, just something that has been lost to time for a bit.
girls.jpg

My first impression is that the player in the video looks awful happy to see me.

Was going to say that- definitely not a new design, just something that has been lost to time for a bit.

Awww, now that's a cute picture. Thanks for that, I had no idea. Anybody out there actually have one of these?

What ever you think about the design, the gentleman playing it in the video does a wonderful job with it.

Hmmm, if I need a couple of bass drone strings I'll just play one of my guitars - LOL.

I guess if you didn't play guitar it might give you an avenue for more expression.

John

Harp guitars have been around for quite some time. A harp uke isn't new, just following an established route. Doesn't turn my crank, but I tip my hat to the boldness of it. Might be moved to get one if I heard and played it.

Not sure about it. As of now i'm thinking I don't care much for it. But who knows if I saw it in person or was able to play with one.

Someone suggested that the street price might be $900 to $1000.

Interesting to note - their uke was designed by Pete Howlett, an active UU member. He detailed his creation of the original prototype over in the luthier's lounge here in the forums. It's a very cool instrument, not something an average player would pick up just for fun, I would bet. Pete is an impressive builder, though, and a lot of thought and work went into that design!

Are you out there Pete? Tell us about the harp uke!

Interesting to note - their uke was designed by Pete Howlett, an active UU member. He detailed his creation of the original prototype over in the luthier's lounge here in the forums. It's a very cool instrument, not something an average player would pick up just for fun, I would bet. Pete is an impressive builder, though, and a lot of thought and work went into that design!

So are you lurking out there Pete? Can you tell us about this instrument?

Top Bottom