Strings for Kiwaya KTS

EDW

Reaction score
What strings do people seem to prefer for the Kiwaya KTS solid ukes?

I found that the strings it came with were pretty good, but I didn't like the slightly scratchy quality while fingerpicking. I changed to Worth CM. I like these, but am not completely sure. I will let them settle a bit and see. I may try Worth brown med. I generally don't love Aquilas and they might be a little too in your face for this instrument, which is quite responsive.

I don't want to spend forever messing with strings and am wondering what others have found and if there are some other new options I might not be aware of.

Last edited:
I prefer the worth clear for my KS-1. I have a KTS-5 on its way an will use worths to start. I'm not a fan of the strings the factory uses.

I wonder how the martin fleurocarbon would work on that ukulele??? Hmmmm I like them on my martins...

My KTS4 came with what I believe were Hilo strings and currently have Aquilas fitted.

The uke shop recommended Worth BMs, but I had problems with them.
There was a buzz at the nut on the 2nd string and the intonation went out on the 3rd string.

The buzz I cured by setting the string in Blu-Tack at the nut slot.
I couldn't overcome the 3rd string intonation problem, notes flattened as I went up the neck.
Think it may be one of two things. The saddle compensation too severe for thinner strings.
Or, I noticed the 3rd string was paler in colour than the others, maybe a bad batch.

So, for the time being it's 'in your face' Aquilas on my KTS.

Mike

My KTS4 came with what I believe were Hilo strings and currently have Aquilas fitted.

The uke shop recommended Worth BMs, but I had problems with them.
There was a buzz at the nut on the 2nd string and the intonation went out on the 3rd string.

The buzz I cured by setting the string in Blu-Tack at the nut slot.
I couldn't overcome the 3rd string intonation problem, notes flattened as I went up the neck.
Think it may be one of two things. The saddle compensation too severe for thinner strings.
Or, I noticed the 3rd string was paler in colour than the others, maybe a bad batch.

So, for the time being it's 'in your face' Aquilas on my KTS.

Mike

Aloha Mike,
When buying strings, have you tried buying the same guage(thickness)strings as the original to avoid the issues???? Good Luck!! Happy Strummings...
That way you don't change any of the original set up until You are sure those are going strings you are satisfied with for duration of your uke or use..so much trouble
changing things back to original specs..

I put strings from Southcoast Ukes on my KTS-4 .Sounds great , I was a little disappointed with the strings that came on it.

I wonder how the martin fleurocarbon would work on that ukulele??? Hmmmm I like them on my martins...

Stan, do you mean a vintage Martin O? I have one, and need thinner strings than the Aquila to correct an intonation issue.

Hi Stan,
I measured three sets of strings with a micrometer, Hilos, Aquilas and Worth BMs.
The original supplied Hilos were thickest, Worth thinnest and Aquila midway between.
The nut slot looks nicely cut.

More of a problem is the intonation with Worth BMs 3rd string.
Assuming the string is not faulty, the only solution would be to make a new saddle with less compensation.

I did think about Martin Fluorocarbon strings, but they are similar gauge to Worth

Mike

Last edited:
I use Worth CM's on my KTS-7 and they sound great but I'd like to try the BM's on it though.

It came with Fremont Blacklines which are 19, 27, 31 and 22.

Worth CM's and BM's are both 20.5, 26, 29.1, 22.4 which interestingly enough are the same gauges as Fremont Clears.

Martin M-600's are 19, 26, 34, 22 and I liked them on the Mexican S-0 I had. I got a set of Aquila Gut strings for it and it sounded awful with them.

Honestly, the Mexican S-0 sounded the best when I had Worth BT's on it so I may have to give that a try on the KTS-7 as well. I'm a big fan of Worth browns.

Stan, do you mean a vintage Martin O? I have one, and need thinner strings than the Aquila to correct an intonation issue.

Yes, I have two vintage soprano's one style O and a style 2 currently....and both
have the martin Fleurocarbon and I like them alot better than the Aquila's that for sure..
alot sweeter sounding....and I personally think better than the Worths...:):)
Aloha Thom,
I'm using the M600 martin clear Fleurocarbon strings, and just went to strum my style 2 and it's loud, clear with a hint of sweetness...just love them...and I had
these on for about two years...they last along time...the guage is soprano/concert "C" tuning....0191-.0216
A 1st string .0191 inches 0.48 mm
E 2nd string .0256 inches 0.65 mm
C 3rd string .0340 inches 0.86mm
G 4th string .0216 inches 0.55 mm
I hope it helps.... Good Luck...MM Stan

Last edited:
I put strings from Southcoast Ukes on my KTS-4 .Sounds great , I was a little disappointed with the strings that came on it.

Which ones did you try?

Last edited:
I posted in another thread that I was putting Savarez Alliance strings on my kts-5. After a couple days of settling in, I think I like em. William King in his blog mentioned using them over Worths because he thought them to be brighter, and while it seems subtle to me while playing, my wife commented that they were decidedly brighter and she never pays attention to that stuff. They have good sustain and feel nice when I finger pick. I'm glad to have tried them and may choose them over Worths for this uke. Both are good choices for the solid mahogany Kiwaya ukes. imo

Last edited:
I posted in another thread that I was putting Savarez Alliance strings on my kts-5. After a couple days of settling in, I think I like em. William King in his blog mentioned using them over Worths because he thought them to be brighter, and while it seems subtle to me while playing, my wife commented that they were decidedly brighter and she never pays attention to that stuff. They have good sustain and feel nice when I finger pick. I'm glad to have tried them and may choose them over Worths for this uke. Both are good choices for the solid mahogany Kiwaya ukes. imo

What Savarez strings do you use for a soprano ukulele?

What Savarez strings do you use for a soprano ukulele?

For a soprano, I use (A,E,C,G) the Savarez KF52 (.0205"), KF66 (.0260"), KF74 (.0291") and KF62 (.0244") (approx. the same gauge as a standard Worth CM fluorocarbon set, but the Savarez KF fluorocarbon compounds are a little harder and give a brighter tone).
From William Kings site. When ordered from strings by mail, price is similar to Worths.

From William Kings site. When ordered from strings by mail, price is similar to Worths.

Thanks! I have an older martin. I like Martin fluorocarbons on it, but the nut slots are a bit wide and the A string buzzes. I have Worth CMs on it and no buzz. I'd like to try the Savarez. Have you tried Worth hard tension?

Thanks! I have an older martin. I like Martin fluorocarbons on it, but the nut slots are a bit wide and the A string buzzes. I have Worth CMs on it and no buzz. I'd like to try the Savarez. Have you tried Worth hard tension?

I have them on my KoAloha tenor and like them a lot. I haven't tried them on anything else, though.

Recently I tried the Southcoast mediums. They are a nice full bodied string with very good clarity. I think they are well worth trying.

Top Bottom