Pitch problems

JohnBoy

Reaction score
Okay..So I just got my second uke. It is beautiful etc. etc.:) But....it seems to have a problem. When I play up the neck it goes sharp on three of the four strings.:( Does anyone know if there is anything that I can do to correct this problem?:confused: The action is great but this pitch problem is making me crazy. HELP!:uhoh:

Thanks....I can't believe I only got one reply. Other than change the strings, there probably isn't anything that can be done. I do have two sets of strings ordered from MGM. Hopefully they will help. :)

I'll take a crack at it. If it gradually gets sharper up the fret board it may be that your bridge in not in the correct position. There is a way to test this theory. Do you know what harmonics are? If you lightly touch the strings above the twelfth fret and gently pluck with your right hand you should hear it ring. This should happen DIRECTLY above the twelfth fret. If it is slightly higher up, or slightly lower, then your bridge is not in the right place. So in other words, the twelfth fret should be EXACTLY halfway between the bridge, and the nut (you can measure it with a tape measure to check it too). Does that make sense? What kind of Uke is it? is it a cheapie? If the bridge is out of position, you will have to take it to a luthier (or music shop) to have it moved, and it will cost you some money....:(

You've been given good answers...

A few thoughts...

Good strings make a difference. When a string is depressed it stretches to touch the fretboard. Longer strings mean lower pitch. Well engineered strings stretch with less pitch change when depressed.

Low action decreases string stretch and can help improve intonation.

In theory the 12th fret is at the midpoint of the scale length. However, a good builder will add a "smidge" to the scale length to compensate for string stretch. This added smidge can be calculated. Many builders can add the smidge intuitively.

The bridge may not need to be moved. It depends on the severity of the problem. If the saddle is wide it can be shaped to increase or decrease the scale length by as much 1/32" - 1/16".

Good luck.

Thanks to everyone!:) I think I will wait and check to see what good strings will do. It currently has low G and I don't care for that. So, I may solve two issues at once. The uke is not a cheapy. It is a Mele made of solid KOA. I have an inexpensive Kala spruce top tenor that costs a lot less and dosen't have these problems. That is why I was really surprised when my new concert did. I will let you all know what the new strings do.:music:

I don't have a clue. Whatever came on it. My new strings arrived today. MGM is beyond amazing. They arrived 2 days after I sent my payment. :) OK...I put on Aquila nylgut and walla! the problem seems to have gone away.:nana: Also, I like the sound much better. I did the harmonic test and found it to be spot on the twelveth fret. I didn't realize strings could make such a difference. Thanks for all your help.:rock:

I don't have a clue. Whatever came on it. My new strings arrived today. MGM is beyond amazing. They arrived 2 days after I sent my payment. :) OK...I put on Aquila nylgut and walla! the problem seems to have gone away.:nana: Also, I like the sound much better. I did the harmonic test and found it to be spot on the twelveth fret. I didn't realize strings could make such a difference. Thanks for all your help.:rock:

where do you live, cause I just ordered a new uke form him yesterday and Im wondering how long it will take for it to get here

We are in Colorado. But don't expect your uke in 2 days. There was a mix up with the payment and he actually had shipped my strings before I paid for them. Caan you belive that! I don't think that is how it usually works. I bought a uke from him earlier this year and it took about a week after I paid.

where do you live, cause I just ordered a new uke form him yesterday and Im wondering how long it will take for it to get here

I got my eleuke from him, and shipped priority mail to here in the DC area, it was three days. Strings usually come in less than a week. (I believe he just mails 'em at the regular letter rate.)

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom