Back in Production

Timbuck

Reaction score
After a rest of 6 weeks I'm starting up again on my next batch of 8 Sopranos....I was going to show a few pics of my latest device (a radius hot plate for forming domed backs) but my camera is bust and I'm waiting for a new one to arrive later this week:)..I remembered what Pete said a while back about side bending "Hot bent stays bent"...so I thought i'd try and apply hot bending on the back plate as well.
My first experiments with it have produce an arched back that dos'nt really need bracing..but it's going to get them fitted anyway for added strength....So I'll put the first uke together and see how it goes Pics to be shown later...Oh yes! another thing...at Mrs Timbucks request I stopped drinking alchol at Xmas.:eek: and not had a drop since.. now I feel very strange :confused:

I love violin backs, they always sound better.
about the alcohol just remember AA is for quiters, and I always say "I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings!"

I had to give it up for a bit too. I had to have a tooth extracted, and my dentist told me to stop while it healed.

Welcome back Ken and welcome to the club. It's true that many alcoholics attend meetings. No shame in that. Drunks usually don't attend meetings.

And I've got to tell everyone that one of Timbuck's ukes showed up in my shop the other day. (Not for work, just for show.) It was a joy to play, looked and sounded great as well. Very nice indeed!

Last edited:
You'll still need to brace the back ken because unlike the sides, that flat area of unfinished wood will suck up moisture and give it out - trust me, I have a travek guitar that spent some time in a high humidity environment and it got an 8' radius in it in no time. Back in the workshop the back calmed down and we were OK again.

Glad you are back. Look forward to seeing and hearing your arched back ukes. Sounds like Mrs Timbuck got the best Xmas gift. Congratulations. Hope what feels very strange now will feel good and normal for you in the near future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom