Nightmare...

aljanny

Reaction score
I think I may be playing ukulele too often lately... I think it's starting to annoy my roommates that I always, always have a ukulele in hand/am mentioning ukuleles/listening to uke music. Or maybe I'm just paranoid...

I actually had a dream last night where my mother and a bunch of other people surrounded me and told me that they were sick of hearing me playing ukulele every spare moment, and that they were buying me a banjo instead.
(Not that I don't like banjoes- in fact, that's the next instrument on my to-learn list for after ukulele - but it definitely felt like a nightmare...)

Obsessed? Paranoid? Maybe... =P

I guess my point is that while other people find it fun to hear me playing the ukulele, I feel bad for the people who have to live with me practicing and practicing and practicing (and messing up) every day.

I made it through a song i've been working on memorizing for the 1st time today. Yes, it was slow, and yes I made mistakes, but I think it was good for my son to hear that with time and effort, one can progress. He "practiced" the violin for a year, the same song, the same mistakes. We were both glad when he quit! So, make sure you're not just putting in time without focus.

bbqribs- It doesn't take me too long to get through the songs that I'm learning without mistakes (I've been learning easy ones because that's all I have time for with college; I reserve the harder ones for when I'm on school breaks) - it's the repetitive playing that commits it to muscle memory that I think gets to them. I have a bunch that I need to practice daily, at the very least, otherwise I forget them and get 'rusty'.

hoosierhiver- This is true. Luckily, my roommates are pretty good with keeping their cell conversations to a minimum =P I guess it's the Disney movies on repeat that gets to me and balances out the uke playing - I mean, I like a good Disney film every once in a while, but there comes a point where it's just too much...

I think the reason you dreamt about it is because uke is on your mind a lot. The topics that fill a lot of my awake time/energy/attention tend to creep into my dreams. You could be honest and ask your roomies if your playing bothers them. It's always better to be open rather than sit and worry, especially when it comes to roommates! I'm sure they're fine with your playing, just like you're fine with their incessant Disney movies. We all have our quirks. :D

I recently found out that most of my relatives have my messages hidden on Facebook, because as one said, "The uke stuff just gets to be too much." Having the uke consume your life seems to be part of the disease.

Paranoid???

I thought the placid neighbour from the house next door did the wheelie out of his driveway last week in his haste to get away cos I'd spent way too much time doing some heavy strumming ...I'm still waiting for the opportune time to ask if he can hear me practicising, their house is at least 20 ft away from mine and their living areas are on the far side as well...Paranoid???

I visited home during Christmas...feel asleep on the couch and aparently played ukulele in my sleep. So of course my family thinks i play to much but they are "lucky" enough to live in a different town.

No.. I have studied dreams for years. Let me pick it apart for you and come up with my diagnosis, and it's deep meaning. The actual dreams are very rarely obvious with their meanings, and the actual dream is really superficial. That said, the real deep and buried meaning of the dream is as follows.

You want, and need a Banjole. The only remedy is to start shopping.

I actually had a dream last night where my mother and a bunch of other people surrounded me and told me that they were sick of hearing me playing ukulele every spare moment, and that they were buying me a banjo instead.

How weird, I had the same dream but they bought me an accordian.
LOL! I was just about to say at least they didn't buy you an accordion. :p

I have to say, you guys make me feel so much better about this =P

Plus, I think it was actually all in my head, because I accidentally mentioned to my roommate that I was planning to bring my uke to work for when there's no one there to help with writing consultations ('accidentally' because I'd been trying to limit myself on the number of times I was allowed to let ukulele slip into unrelated conversations...), and she laughed and told me I definitely should and that I should start bringing it along with me out in public more. So, I guess I have at least one roommate's permission/endorsement to be obsessed =)

Tudorp: Ohdear, don't remind me how much I want one of those! I might actually start drooling... =P

Aloha Aljanny,
I'm not sure if anyone can read into the dream what it meant, but you're sure sound like a uker for life...live, and love the uke for life.....My scariest dream would be without my ukes..in my life...
Have Fun and enjoy!! Happy Strummings!! MM Stan..

Last edited:
I went to sleep one night a little bit put out with my husband because of some random annoying thing he did. I'd also been playing uke a lot that day, and talking a lot about my UAS problems of how I should rank the ukes on my list... also there was some unannounced construction project in the building and they left the doors open all day, so the hallway was freezing.

So my brain combined these things for the nightly entertainment. I had a dream where I got a Koaloha tenor, and while I was out, some construction guys came in to do something. They left the front door open and the main building doors open all day. Anders put my new Koaloha tenor ON THE COAT RACK NEXT TO THE DOOR! When I came home, The top was separated from the sides.

When I asked him why he took it out of the case and put it in the coldest dryest part of the house all day, he said he thought that's where it was supposed to go.

Man that was a realistic dream!

Does this mean I need a Koaloha tenor? It wasn't on my list... But yes you clearly need a banjo uke.

This reminds me of when I was a youngster and played the trumpet. I would get to the point where I would almost pass out from blowing into it. My parents never complained but I'm sure the neighbors were very happy when I quit. I'm talking more than 50 years ago ( man...getting old sucks) . Back then I wanted to play violin but only girls and sissys played violin so I went with the trumpet.

Last edited:
You all gave me a morning laugh! For those of you making accordion jokes, I am coming to your houses and playing my accordion outside your bedroom window while you are trying to sleep!

Amen brother!!!!!!

and another Amen here Bart!!!

hi aljanny,

as someone who is a tad obsessive / compulsive, especially in matters of uke, I think your life is totally normal and your dream is just confirmation that you have joined the ranks of raving uke loonies. Happy days are here again!!!! Sounds like your friends can see your passion for the instrument...so keep playing hard and often!!!! It's awesome. And remember the uke is such a joyful and infectious little instrument, my bet is your friends will start having sweet dreams about it soon too!!!! :smileybounce:

Top Bottom