Mainland Friction Tuners

ukularwarhead

Reaction score
Curious about Mainland's friction tuners. Any thoughts on quality? How well do they stay tuned?

I've been thinking of getting a soprano uke from them and I really like the looks of friction tuners on sops. I've only had experience with geared tuners and would love some input! :)

Mainland uses good friction tuners. I've owned a soprano with both their geared and friction; I would suggest friction--it makes the uke well balanced and in my opinion gives it a more aesthetic balance. But be warned: you have to get used to friction tuners! I whined like a baby on these very forums about how much I hated them, blah blah blah. What I was was a noob who had not yet gotten used to them. I prefer them now, for many reasons.

I have 2 Mainland sopranos (a classic mahogany and a red cedar pineapple). Both have friction tuners. Mainland's friction tuners are as good as any I've used. I'm like pdxuke. It took me a bit to get used to them, but once I did, I prefer them. I actually can't imagine buying a uke with geared tuners. I like the way friction tuners look, and once you get used to them, they're as quick and accurate as geared tuners. I suppose MAYBE on a tenor geared tuners might be ok. I have them on my only tenor. I can't really see buying another tenor though. I'm a soprano man through and through!

Have the friction tuners on a soprano Honeybee - they are great tuners - as good as any you'll find. I also ordered two additional sets & put one set on a Kala thinline concert to replace the geared tuners - they fit well w/o any extra drilling, etc. The other set, I gave to Haolejohn who needed a set for another uke. I would guess that they turned out alright for him as well.

I like the lighter weight & the classic look of the friction tuners.

Here's the link to my Kala sale w/photos so you can see what they looked like on that uke. (the Kala sold to another UU'er)

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...Kala-Thinline-Travel-Concert-Solid-Spruce-top

Last edited:
My Kala sop. has Grovers friction and they are a bit better than the ones I have on my mainland ukes. The Mainland ones are fine.

I laugh now when I think about how I almost didn't order my KoAloha concert because it had friction tuners and I "just couldn't see myself paying $700 for something with friction pegs." What a newbie I was (and it tweren't all that long ago). Now, I'd like to put friction tuners on my Mainland tenor but don't want the screw holes that would be showing after.

John

I laugh now when I think about how I almost didn't order my KoAloha concert because it had friction tuners and I "just couldn't see myself paying $700 for something with friction pegs."

Man, that makes me glad I'm not the only one...

Top Bottom