Mainland Tenor w/ Friction Tuners

pdxuke

Reaction score
Has anyone changed the geared tuners on a Mainland tenor to friction tuners? And Mike, if you're out there, is there any reason this can't or should not be done?

Heh, heh. I just remarked in another thread how I'd like to put friction tuners on my Mainland tenor but I wouldn't like the screw holes that would be left showing on the back of the headstock. I'm assuming that Mainland's friction and geared tuners have the same size hole for the shaft because you can choose which you want on a soprano. Mike, if I'm wrong about that part, set me straight!

John

WHY? They already have wonderfully efficient, stable geared tuners.

Embrace the change. Geared tuners have been all the rage for almost a century...

Embrace the change. Geared tuners have been all the rage for almost a century...

Ok, I'm not taking the bait. :) I'd write you a lengthy reply giving my reason but my carrier pigeon is out delivering another message.

Again, anybody out there used friction tuners on a tenor?

Last edited:

Their tuners are great - but I prefer the clean look with no knobs sticking out the sides. Also, I can restring much faster with friction pegs, and now that I'm used to them I can tune just as quickly with them. On a steel-string guitar you kind of need gearing - not so with the lower tension of nylon strings.

John

Top Bottom