If you Had $1000, Take Two...

rt1965

Reaction score
Okay, so I've read the "What would you buy if you had $1000" thread. But here's a different take on the question. Would you buy only one really nice uke, or would you buy more than one? Right now I own one uke, a KoAloha Pineapple Sunday which I absolutely love. I just sold a KoAloha Tenor for reasons unknown, and I am looking to replace it. I probably should have never sold it, but it's gone none the less.

I don't care for soprano sized ukes, but I am willing to maybe check out a concert size. The Pineapple Sunday is basically a Super Concert. And of course, I wouldn't mind another Tenor. So, I can buy one really nice uke, or I can spread the wealth a bit and buy two.

What would you do?

You already have a really nice uke, so I would go for more lower end stuff so that you can have more of a selection of instruments.

I'd get a kala tenor with a pickup and a cajon and save the rest. I played a Kala with a pickup today, and it wasn't too bad for the price. As for the cajon, I would totally buy one for myself...but I'm not sure that I'm willing to spend 100+ dollars on a wood box.

i wouldn't buy one if i had to choose now, i would buy a nice tenor for about 500, another tenor for 300 and prob a concert of soprano for 200....

1000 seems like a lot when it comes to me buying ukuleles... 3 ukes for 1k, i want 1k :p

I'd get a mandolin, a cajon, and possibly a djembe, depending on what all these cost. If I was going to get another ukulele, I'd want a solid tenor with a slotted headstock, and if it's going to be at least 1000 dollars it will need some fancy quirks to it; and custom dealers usually deal with that. Most are over 1000, no?

and if it's going to be at least 1000 dollars it will need some fancy quirks to it; and custom dealers usually deal with that. Most are over 1000, no?

I'd say that was a fair and accurate statement.

rt1965,

Since you already had a KoAloha, getting anything mentioned above would be going backwards. You of all players should know what a quality `ukulele brings to the table.

Kala, next to a Pineapple Sunday, I don't think so. Like it or not, you're now spoiled (in a good way). Playing a good `ukulele, and owning a good `ukulele, two entirely different animals.

Get a nice solid factory instrument that you're going to play (you can only play one at a time anyway). $1K should get you there.

Or, keep the $1K, save another $1K and then plan on your fancy quirks - adding a pickup already puts a retail KoAloha/Kamaka/G-string Tenor over $1K, and you still don't have a case, much less the ability to contemplate a Custom built for you (as opposed to what some may consider a custom just built).

Just a different perspective, one that (based on owning a PS) you understand - Aaron

Last edited:
rt1965,

Since you already had a KoAloha, getting anything mentioned above would be going backwards. You of all players should know what a quality `ukulele brings to the table.

Kala, next to a Pineapple Sunday, I don't think so. Like it or not, you're now spoiled (in a good way). Playing a good `ukulele, and owning a good `ukulele, two entirely different animals.

Get a nice solid factory instrument that you're going to play (you can only play one at a time anyway). $1K should get you there.

Or, keep the $1K, save another $1K and then plan on your fancy quirks - adding a pickup already puts a retail KoAloha/Kamaka/G-string Tenor over $1K, and you still don't have a case, much less the ability to contemplate a Custom built for you (as opposed to what some may consider a custom just built).

Just a different perspective, one that (based on owning a PS) you understand - Aaron

Yes Aaron, I do understand. Funny thing is that I realize I should have never sold the KoAloha Tenor. Big mistake.:( Oh well, worst case scenario, I replace it with another. I've got my eye on a couple of really nice tenors right now and I will soon decide. As far as trying out the concert size, I might just pick up one of those Koalanas from MGM. That way if I can't bond with the concert size, I'm not out too much doe.

id get a spruce top, and a couple kala koa ukes

... and yet you ended up buying a mahogany top the next day after this post. :rofl:

The thing about the Pineapple Sunday is that it is a very unique sounding tenor scaled uke, so by getting just about any other high quality tenor you should end up with something pretty different. I'd go for a Kamaka, Kanile'a, or G-String tenor myself if I'm in your scenario looking for a $1k uke. I'd recommend skipping getting multiple lower priced ukes (unless you come across some awesome deals on high end ukes) because you might end up not playing them much compared to your Pineapple Sunday.

An inexpensive resonator uke, plus a Pono six-string and maybe a tenor Fluke with a rosewood fretboard. And a nice bottle of wine for my wife just before she kills me...

Well call me crazy, but I just bought a new KoAloha Tenor to replace the one I sold, and with the extra money I bought an Ohana TK-35G. I really don't know why I sold my original KoAloha Tenor, but the good news is the new one has much nicer looking Koa. So much for my $1000!:D

I've been wanting something in Mahogany so this Ohana will be a nice uke to have until the right Vintage Martin comes along.

I'll post pic's when they get here.

Well call me crazy, but I just bought a new KoAloha Tenor to replace the one I sold, and with the extra money I bought an Ohana TK-35G. I really don't know why I sold my original KoAloha Tenor, but the good news is the new one has much nicer looking Koa. So much for my $1000!:D

I've been wanting something in Mahogany so this Ohana will be a nice uke to have until the right Vintage Martin comes along.

I'll post pic's when they get here.

I did that with my Koaloha soprano. I sold the ksm-10, and 6 months down the road I replaced it with, a ksm-00. The kiss of death was getting visitation rights to the one I sold. I found I wasn't over it.

So don't feel bad, you're not the only one who replaces stuff they sold! If I was looking at a budget uke, those Ohana 50g's look gorgeous. Enjoy your ukes and of pictures are mandatory! :cool:

Top Bottom