One of those who could believe it moments....

beergeek

Reaction score
I occasionally play uke during the worship service at Church. Last week after I played, one of our members came up to me and told me that she and her husband were given two ukuleles as a gift when they were in Hawaii but no one has ever played them.

I think they were either an anniversary or wedding gift, I can't remember exactly what she said. Anyway, I told her to bring them in sometime and I'll clean them up for her and teach she and her husband to play.

So today, after worship service, she comes up to compliment me on the music we played before service and she has this in her hands:

Last Import - 01.jpg

Do go on....

You're such a tease! LOL

So I open the box and...ummm...uhh...

Attachments

• Last Import - 07.jpg
    Last Import - 07.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 208
  • Last Import - 06.jpg
    Last Import - 06.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 178
  • Last Import - 04.jpg
    Last Import - 04.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 177
  • Last Import - 02.jpg
    Last Import - 02.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 234
Not in the best condition....so I tell here they are "Keiki Kamakas" ....she says, "yes, keiki means child." I tell her I'll clean them up but I can't keep them...they're worth too much. She says she would rather they be played....

So, there's some repair work ahead ;)

Attachments

• Last Import - 05.jpg
    Last Import - 05.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Last Import - 08.jpg
    Last Import - 08.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Last Import - 10.jpg
    Last Import - 10.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Last Import - 09.jpg
    Last Import - 09.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 64
  • Last Import - 03.jpg
    Last Import - 03.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 60
jeesh.. You got to be kidding. She gave them both to you? Man, where am I when these people come around? lol. Awesome.. You should take them out to a nice dinner or something. Well worth a good gesture gift.. Nice..

Yep, that's right....not one but TWIN Keiki Kamakas...Gold Label Kamakas in the original box, with the original strings and an original felt pick no less! Now, the front and back seams were separating, one of the bridges is off and ....well...it's going to be a fun project to bring back the twins ;)

Like I said, it was one of those..."I thought this never really happens" moments....

Last edited:
How old are they? and I wouldn't just glue and clamp those things, I would take those to a quality luthier.. Just sayin..

Fantastic! Congratulations!

Nice. That is actually the first time I have ever seen a Keiki Kamaka in a picture. I have yet to see one in person. IIRC the Keikis were made in Japan as part of their import line. Anyone have clarification?

How old are they? and I wouldn't just glue and clamp those things, I would take those to a quality luthier.. Just sayin..

Keikis were made in Japan under license from Kamaka from 63-70. They're solid mahogany and the tops are thin, thin, thin .....I've already got the backs off and the tops loose. I'm going to clean up the joints, re-glue with hide glue, put better tuners on them, pore fill and as the final step, I'll french polish them with violin varnish.

These babies are going to be suh-weet!

cool.. good luck with the project, and keep us in the loop with pictures..

Thanks for sharing..

Keikis were made in Japan under license from Kamaka from 63-70. They're solid mahogany and the tops are thin, thin, thin .....I've already got the backs off and the tops loose. I'm going to clean up the joints, re-glue with hide glue, put better tuners on them, pore fill and as the final step, I'll french polish them with violin varnish.

These babies are going to be suh-weet!

Amazing! I love my Keiki! Its a sweet little uke - but... you left off one step above. I would definitely rehydrate them both before you get them all put back together. And... why are you going to pore fill? The originals sure weren't. Keeping them as close to original increases their value & though a good french polish may make them look "like new" - they AREN'T - thats the point. IMO

Great Providence - (I also attend church & don't believe in luck! )

Gmoney...As you said, they came to me for a reason. I could never sell them and their previous owners want them to be played. I plan on making them look and sound like angels ;) and then play them regularly at worship.

Gmoney...As you said, they came to me for a reason. I could never sell them and their previous owners want them to be played. I plan on making them look and sound like angels ;) and then play them regularly at worship.

That's what I'd to do, I can see it now, since you can't play both at once, you now have a couple of extra "axes" to share w/new members of the worship band. I found out our new worship leader has a Bari uke, so am plotting to rejoin the band w/one or more of my ukes. My wife & I started the worship "band" some 23+ years ago at our church, but due to my travel & her health haven't been as active as we would like to be for several years. Getting back in the "swing" is one of my 2011 goals.

Good Providence!

Top Bottom